Rinsing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water hose and a rubbermaid, square bucket worked for me. A 40 lb bag probably took me about 30 - 40 minutes. Just running water thru it and stirring. And a lot of it. When the 4 bags were finally added ot the tank, I still had a cloud for a couple of days and had to gravel vac more out.

Maybe I'll learn a better way from your post too, but it may be just that - diligent stirring and rinsing.

I put my sand in a big plastic bowl and slowly let it fill with the tank water, let the sand settle on the bowl, slowly move it to the bottom and dump it out slowly. My 55G only took about 4-6 hours to clear...Oh yeah, I turned off everything in the tank.....

The only reason to rinse it is to avoid a long duration of cloudiness in the tank. Nothing will hurt the tank if it goes unrinsed, but I still recommend a good rinse.

The way I do it is in a small bucket, half full with sand, and run water into the bucket until it fills. stir it/ sift it under the water with your hand, pour of the water and repeat till it clears. Usually takes 3-4 times, then empty and get more new sand in the bucket and have at 'er once again.

I would agree with austinsdad on about 30-40 minutes for a 40# bag. Some would say that's a waste of time.... others hate a cloudy tank. My tank never clouded after rinsing my aragonite in the described way.

You will never get all the fine particles out of the sand. You can set up a new tank with out rinsing the sand and get 0 sand storm is done right. IMO its not needed.
I set up my 55 without rinsing and both refugiums also, no issues and 0 sand storm. If rinsing wi waht you want to do then go ahead, just don't rinse it too long, you do wnat small patricles of sand in the tank also.

If you've got time for the sand storm for more than a couple days, let it go. There will be dust you can get rid of, not sand when you rinse right. In about 160 lbs of sand, I may have lost 1/4 cup.

It also may depend on the sand you buy. I garauntee that the sand I have would have no chance of making it in the tank with 0 sandstorm.

Well I added the sand and water no rinse, It went well it only too about an hour for the milkyness to go away, thanks for the tips.

why would you stir the sand? as soon as the bacteria starts to grow it will help out with any sand storm.

ryguy in a new set up I bet if you covered the sand bed with a plastic bag and placed a bowl on top and then added all water in the tank by pouring into the bowl first you would have near 0 sand storm. I have done this in several tanks using south down sand and had clear water when done.

Back
Top Bottom