Rise of the Falcon: new reef legacy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys! I haven't posted/participated in months and in another couple weeks/months I'm going to restart and flawlessly conquer and MASTER my dream reef system.

My inquire is this: just for my own personal know-how etc I want to hear it from you guys:

When you setup/start/ maintain a system, what's the proper and most efficient cycle order for the water..??

Display tank to prefilter(this is based off the assumption that one has a sump and refugium unit), to a wet/dry set of bioballs, then to maybe seachem matrix (live rock rubble before and after matrix layer), to a heater chamber, and then to what, my refugium or a Purigen chamber which houses the slimmer, and then the return pump chamber??? Or should the refugium be the last chamber the water passes through before returning to the main display tank?? I plan on having a small ( 10" long, 12" wide, 6-8" deep water) refugium, and a seperate, possibly final refugium fashioned from a small 20gal tank.

Any and ALL input is immensely anticipated and appreciated guys(and gals)!! Thank you so much! Can't wait to start again!!!!

most effecient way to cycle is probably by gettign soem live rock or sand from a friends tank to help seed yours. another good way is to use an old filter pad to help. this works well.

anotehr way to cycle is to add all the rock you need and a filters, then add an ammonia source, some like to add a few frozen shrimp, others like to does PURE ammonia from a ganitorial supply company. others liek to add a few damsel fish, personally i do not approve of this method, it may be quick but it puts the fsh through a hell of alot of stress, it damages their reseperatory systems and if they don't die they will be on the edge of it.

as for sumps refugium vs wet/dry. wet/dry are good for a fish only system but a refugium is a more natural form of filtration and one that will benefit a reef and a fish only much better then a wet/dry.

the setup is entirely up to you how you want to do this, some folks liek to put their return/heater chamber in the middle with a skimmer section and a refugium section on the side, this way they can split the overflow to each side and slow down the flow rate through the fuge while allowing more flow through the skimmersection. some like the skimmer then refugium then return chamber for the purpous that if the skimmer misses some organics a well established fuge can help clean up any missed mess.
there are pros and cons to each its up to the aquatis what they want to do and what they have space for

You misunderstood....I know how to cycle a tank...haha I've been doing saltwater for a long time now. I was asking about the "cycle" the water takes during filtration, etc.. Like the most efficient order as far as what it travels through.

Nevermind I'm sorry "I" misunderstood. I didn't read your last paragraph before I commented! Haha

Thank you very very much I really appreciate that. That actually helps me a lot.

Back
Top Bottom