RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s.petrone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a quick question that i was unsure about. I know you can purchase RO/DI water purifiers but i was wondering if a regular one that you buy for drinking purposes [the kind that go on the sink, like the Brita ones] would have the same effect as the RO/DI one. I wanted to know if they are the same thing and if that would work. thanks

No they won't. Ro/di units do the same thing, but a way better job of it. Say your tap water has 100ppm tds(total dissolved solids) a brita filter may get it down to 50-75, a ro/di unit(a good one anyway) will get it down between 0-5ppm tds.

i have a filter built into the fridge. it claims to do a very good job. it even has a little light that comes on when you need to change out the filter. the T.D.S. before the filter is 252.
guess what the T.D.S. is after the filter............

yep...252.

i would use a T.D.S. meter for whatever you are considering to make sure it's not actually just all show and no go.

The one's you use for kitchen/home use are meant to remove certain things (for taste mostly). If you check the fine print one each one it will list the types of things that it removes. Primarily chlorine, floride, heavy metals and some now claiming nitrate due to the whole blue-baby syndrome. Compare that to your whats in your water (via your municipality water report) and you'll see what's left.

Conversely, RO/RODI water isn't meant for drinking. It has none of the minerals and other things that nourish the body. Even RO/RODI water used for freshwater tanks need to have minerals and electrolytes added back into the water before it can be used for a FW tank.

Back
Top Bottom