Ro/di

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided my next investment will be an ro/di unit. What recommendations are out the. I know nothing at all about them. I will just be using for a fowlr. I don't want to break the bank either

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bulk reef supply has value units for a decent price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I see there are different stage units what is the difference? Which ones would work best for a fowlr tank

As long as you have carbon, sediment, reverse osmosis, and Di you'll be good. It really makes no difference in fowlr and a reef you still need 0 tds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I purchase my unit I want to keep in on my basement. I'm going to pump it up stairs. My question is am I able to use a garden hose? Are there any chemicals in the hose that will harm my tank?

It should be fine to use a garden hose. You can also buy clear flexible tubing by the foot at home depot/etc. that is fairly economical.

I second the Bulk Reef Supply units. Their 5 stage system is economical and works very well. I have owned one for a few years and besides some filter changes, it has been maintenance and leak free. I make 10-20 gallons a week with it.

BRS units are great. A word of advice, get a unit that has a TDS meter on it and a pressure release if you can. There have been times where it has been a huge struggle to get the cylinders off to change out filters because of the pressure built up.

The BRS 5 stage deluxe comes with a TDS meter which is definitely handy. I don't have a pressure release on my unit, and I will agree that sometimes the cylinders take some elbow grease to get loose, but never had one that was too bad I guess.

I purchased the 4 stage rodi universal unit plus a faucet kit for drinking water for less than 300 from BRS. They told me that 4 stage works for 90% of people and I got 10 % off. I can't wait to start using it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What does the 4 stage, 5 stage and 6 stage even do? Are Aquatic life units good? They are pretty cheap.

The coarlife ones my LFS sells are kind of spendy.

Do you always need a pump?

You need a pump if your water pressure is under about 70psi.

The stages filter the water. The more stages with the right filters and order of filters the less quickly your DI resin is consumed and the longer it will last between changes. Also if your local water supply contains chloramines you will need a specific filter for that.

You need a pump if your water pressure is under about 70psi.

The stages filter the water. The more stages with the right filters and order of filters the less quickly your DI resin is consumed and the longer it will last between changes. Also if your local water supply contains chloramines you will need a specific filter for that.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say mine does.

Does it madder if hard or soft water goes in?

You should be able to lookup your local water and see if it contains chloramines. A lot of municipalities don't use it.

The harder the water the more frequently you'll have to change your filters.

You should be able to lookup your local water and see if it contains chloramines. A lot of municipalities don't use it.

The harder the water the more frequently you'll have to change your filters.
I mean like softener salt "soft" water, would that be better and make stuff last longer? Usually I use water from the upstairs sink because I figured fish need the minerals and stuff, but if its being RO/Di's to pure H20 I could use the water from the downstairs bathroom.

It isn't going to make much of a difference for your RODI system. Whether the system is pulling out exchanged Ca ions from the water softener, or pulling our the original ions, either way you will end up with TDS of 0 in a properly functioning system, and both will consume DI resin at about the same rate.

Back
Top Bottom