RO/DI & water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello guys

I am still having a problem with Diatons( 2 months Now ). I just purchased a RO/DI unit on Ebay.Shoud lbe be here next week.My question is will this help curb Diatons? I have well water and am wondering if this could be the problem. I never had that problem with my 2 freshwater tanks ( 55 and 29 Gal ). The day after I add fresh to top off, I get a Diaton breakout....It has to be it huh.

The filter is a six stage ,100 gpd RO/DI unit ...will this give me the water quality I need ? Thanks in advance.

It should help out a lot. I would think well water would have a lot of minerals in it to promote algae growth.

Get a TDS meter and check your tap water. That would tell you.

A TDS is not going to tell you what is in the water It just tells you that you have disolved solids in there... Some are good some are bad.
Have you tested your TAp for phoshates, silicates, nitrates??
RO/DI is a good move and as you are finding out FW and SW are tow different things and what works in FW may not work in SW......
Good luck with the new unit and remember to toss the first 4-5 gallons you make with the new ro/di unit...

I just got the 6 stage RO/DI unit from ebay and you'll be happy with it. This will definitely help with algae control and diatoms. I did a 50% water change when I first got it to try and get out all of the bad water I had in there. Now, as I do water changes and topoffs, it'll dilute out the old distilled water I used, over time.

Back
Top Bottom