ro/di initial investment for beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question to the more experiance reefers out there,Would you recomend that someone who`s just getting started invest in a ro/di unit?I think I know what the answer is, but I wounder what poeple did before these units became available?It would seem to me that this is the very first thing on the list.

Depends on the size tank you're setting up, and if RO/DI water is available at your local grocery store. I can get RO for 12 cents a gallon, and due to awkward plumbing in my house, its just easier to pickup what I need at the store.

A decent unit will run $100, and the refill cartridges run $50-$75 from what I've seen, but buying a 4pack seems to be cheaper.

It also depends on the quality of your tap water. People around here get by with tap water, as we have no readable nitrates or phosphates in the city tap water, and a fairly high alkalinity, which saves a little on alk. buffering products.

For a FO or FOWLR, RO isn't necessary, but once you go to reef lighting w/ corals, that's when you gotta make a decision on getting RO water or installing your own home unit.

IMO, an ro/di unit is one of the best investments you can make. $100 will get you a nice filter on Ebay.
I don't know how long they have been around, but I got my 1st one about 15 yrs ago and used it till recently when I got a new unit that goes under the sink and has a set up for drinking water.

I don't see RODI as optional. sure you can buy it instead of buying the filter. but Tap will eventually be a huge problem if used for topoffs. For water changes it may not be as big of a deal, but personally I wouldn't even think of using tap.

I bought my water at Wal-mart for the longest time and that worked OK. However, life became much easier once I got my RO/DI.

If you have the space, it's worth the minor expense.

For over a year i was paying $1 a gal at the LFS for water. Then I got smart and started looking at the internet for ro/di units. IMO no matter what tank you set up reef or fo or fowlr water quality is the number 1 thing. Bad water = algae issues.
Save your self some headaches and get a ro/di. you can also drink the ro water before it gets to the di. Great stuff..

I'd like to chime in that I'm a chef, and if you get the ro/di unti for your sink... well, I'm sure the fish are happy, but your food tastes better using it heh
(got my 100gph ro/di from filterdirect via ebay..100bucks..worth every cent)

I would like to thank everyone who`s added thier insite to this thread.I have yet to even start my set up.I was just about to make my list,when I was layed off from work.I`m in the constrution industry and have some useful skills.I`m going for a set up somewhere in the rang of 100-150gal...I have a place in my basement with a deep sink were I plan to set up the heart of the tank.That being the filtration system.I plan to put the ro/di unit under the sink.I, in the past made a feeble attempt a SW, but made every mistake that beginners make.The biggest IMO is the pre planning that a succesful long term system requirers.I also have been listening in on a lot of the very insiteful commentary here at A.A. and would like to say that with dedecated hobbiest like here at A.A. one feels not at all alone!!! Once again thank you all,Spartan.......

I actrually don't care about Ro/DI unit if I have a FO tank the more algae will means umm..more food lol..but if u are going for reef system, then yes plz get it.

Back
Top Bottom