RO/DI PPM question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
WOW! I've been away for way too long! And yes.......my tank is suffering a bit as well. Ever since I bought a house last year I've been busy with other stuff, but now back to the tank.

I bought a RO/DI unit and set it up. I'm just wondering what an acceptable PPM reading is? I'm getting 003-002ppm. The store bought water I've been buying for the last 3 years was always at 001ppm. Main reason I bought the unit was #1 its cheaper to make my own water! and #2 I don't have to depend on what day the water would get delivered and ration my water, and missing water changes.

TIA

Well...there could be a few things...If you don't have enough water pressure (45+PSI) then you aren't getting the true benefit of the RO membrane. What does your water read before you filter it? How old is the fiter? Are you on well water or city water?

If you are tanking TDS from 657 to 2 or 3 ppm then you are getting about the best results you can expect. My TDS out of the tap is less then 200. I'm on well water. You will probably need to replace your RO membrane more often.

Thanks for the info Ziggy. How often would you think I'll need to flush and replace the membrane? Right now I make about 10-15gal a week between the tank and out watercooler

keep an eye on your TDS readings...when they get to a point that you don't like change the filter out...If your unit doesn't have the fulsh feature on it don't take the filter out to clean it I don' think that is good...mine is a contained system, I just turn a knob...FWIW...I have the same RO membrane that came in the unit over a year ago and I still get 0ppm TDS from it. I just got lucky to have excellent source water.

Back
Top Bottom