RO/DI system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys I bought an RO/DI system and installed as it showed. Does everyone else`s work as slow as mine? Once I deplete the "holding tank" which can't be more than 3 or 4 gallons I have to wait literally hours before there's enough pressure to push more water through my system. Does anyone know of a way to get a continuous flow if filtered water or is it really just that slow of a process?

I don't have a saltwater tank but I have one of those filter things and it was proffesionaly installed and is that slow but I don't know if you can speed it up

Right!? Its seriously making me crazy I've been "brewing" a 55 gal brute trash can for almost 3 days just so I can do a large water change I just can't believe there is no way to speed it up

It depends on how many gpd your filter can produce and the psi of your water flow. I have a 100gpd system that now fills a 5 gallon jug in a little over an hour/ hour and half. There is no way to speed it up unless you boost your input flow with a booster, but you are then restricted by how much psi your system can handle. To much flow into your system will destroy it.

It depends on how many gpd your filter can produce and the psi of your water flow. I have a 100gpd system that now fills a 5 gallon jug in a little over an hour/ hour and half. There is no way to speed it up unless you boost your input flow with a booster, but you are then restricted by how much psi your system can handle. To much flow into your system will destroy it.
+1. I have a 75 gpd unit and it can fill the 30g storage container overnight. theres really no reason it should take 3 days to fill a 55g brute can. either 1) you need higher pressure (either open up the water supply further or buy a booster pump) or 2) somethings clogged up

I have a 150gpd setup and it takes maybe 5 hours to fill a 32g can. Can you measure the water pressure? i get 65psi without a booster pump.

Thanks huma I will look into a booster pump. I bought the unit used but its like new and he gave me a box full of replacement filters he had bought for it. He claimed he had just recently changed all the filters should I go ahead and change all of them in case their clogged? And would a booster pump damage the unit? I don't see a rating of any kind on it.

Carey how do I measure the flow/psi? Its hooked right into my main water line but the hoses it uses are tiny. I do not know the brand sorry.

Ahh ok. You can find out the gpd from the membrane inside the housing, just take it out and read what it says. :) That should give you at least an idea of what the unit is capable of.
I have a psi meter built into my ro/di so I can see when the pressure drops from clogged filters. i also have mine hooked up to a garden hose spigot which might explain the high water pressure I have. Not sure if you can buy a handheld meter, probably.

Also do you guys' units use a pressure tank? Mine uses one it looks about like a propane bottle for your grill and once that runs dry I get nothing but a trickle out of my line

You can buy a water pressure test guage to go onto a hose Bibb (garden faucet) at a home improvement store for like $15. Check your water pressure before buying a booster pump. Also a pressurized tank is more for a drinking water application. Some people use their RODI unit for household drinking water. If you do just tee off after the RO part before the DI filters and then go to the pressurized tank. I have that on one of my RODI units but it's just for washing filter, pumps, etc in RO water rather than using tap.

Correct this did come out of a house and was used for drinking water. I did tee off after the RO and ran it to my fridge for drinking water. I will test my psi and let you know. Is it just what's comes out the faucet?

You need to know the pressure thats supplying your rodi unit, so id get as close to it as possible.

Yes. Obviously if you have a multi story house you will have lower water pressure upstairs but generally wherever you check it (hose Bibb, laundry sink, etc) that will give your pressure. Then (depending in where you live & if you have one or not) if you have a pressure regulator at your water service inlet to your building, those can be turned up. My house had 45 psi before I raised it to 60 psi through adjusting my regulator. But I would still suspect possibly a clog as mentioned by others as after three days even at low pressure you should have that can full. Also if it is really low pressure I believe your DI resin would be depleting quicker & if you have the color changing resin you would see it.

To get max pressure into your RO unit it should be plumbed into main water line into house (pressurised), if it's plumbed in after the storage tank (gravity feed), pressure will be considerably lower. They are slow and even slower when it's cold.

I would put new filters in (CCB and micron) so you know the age of them, they have a useful life of about 6 months (May vary by unit). If the RO membrane needs replacing this can also seriously reduce flow. The membranes normally last around 4 years depending on care, flushing and use etc.

As posted above, quick depletion of DI resin indicates RO membrane has past useful life.

Back
Top Bottom