RO/DI system..why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I'm going to mix my own saltwater, why would it be good to have an RO/DI system?

Because you have an unknown your adding to your tank, the contaminants of your water. RO/DI removes nearly all the unknowns and you build from there. But with just tap or even bottled water you really dont know what your dosing the tank with. Many things that are in our water that may be even considered desireable in drinking water maybe bad for a reef tank.
And some of the contaminates dont leave the tank , as the water evaporates the bad stuff stays and slowly accumulates in your tank everytime you replace evaporated water, eventually leading to a problem.
I've learned that natural reefs are actually nutrient poor, and dont have an abundance of protein and minerals in the water. I usually think of places with such an abundance of life as nutrient rich areas.

They are really worth it I think I paid $160 for mines from bulksreefsupply

Many problems come from not using 0 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) RO/DI. Drinking water is not pure, it contains many many contaminants and unknowns of which can not be tested for. 0TDS water is completely pure, so pure that it does not conduct electricity and it is a perfect foundation for your saltmix. Tap water contains chlorine which will harm your tank greatly if you forget dechlorinator as well as it contains many heavy metals such as copper which can kill a reef as it builds up. Also many municipalities water supplies contain phosphate and nitrate which will contribute to algae growth and slow coral growth.

Besides all that a major reason to use ro/di is so you know for sure that your water is not causing problems. Id your having algae problems you know right away its not from bad water, and you can eliminate it from the list of causes immediately.

I work for a large water munipality and I know that tap water has a lot of chems and heavy metals in it. Good for us humans but not for our reef. You`ve recieved some really good advice from everyone so far. I do have an article in the SW articles about using tap in the reef.

Alright thanks guys! I'll probably just check and see if my lfs use the RO/DI system

Most fish stores have water for sale however many overcharge and water is not 0 Tds many times because they dont change out filters as often to save a penny. Buying you own rodi pays for itself in less than 6 months probably quicker if you take into account gas. Bulkreefsupply sells a great 4 stage economy ro/di system for $120 that makes 0 TDS water right out if the box. Screw on to the faucet and bam your making clean water. I regretted ever waiting to buy my Ro/di system. Weekly trips for water is expensive compared to Ro.

You can make over 200 gallons for the price of ten gallons at a fish store. Credit cards are a good way of getting things you can afford right away lol. And getting it now will save you money.

Just my advice but either way good luck

I got my ro/di system for like $65 on eBay. I am however considering upgrading to one from brs.

I'm pretty sure I have clorimines in my water and I still get an ammonia reading after the ro/di. So I need another filter that will remove it. Long story short, I still have to use a declorinator on my ro/di water.

I ordered my ro/di setup from eBay also, and paid about $130 for it shipped. I bought from eBay because the one I wanted had a 3g tank and faucet included, but it did not include a deionizing filter or a TDS meter so I bought those separately for about $25 each also off of eBay. So for $180 I have tank faucet 6 stage ro/di and input/output inline TDS meter. I think I got a pretty good deal. I also bought a better way to tap my cold water line from lowes, my kit came with a self-piercing tap, but I was told they tend to leak, so I got a T connector and put that in instead. I highly reccomend a tank of you have space, it's nice having about 3G on demand when you need it.

I keep mine in the basement with a full 35g brute garbage can (food safe) equipped with a float switch so the trash an always stays full of plenty of fresh ro/di. You can also use another can to mix your saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom