RO/DI top off bad for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r312h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gallon sumpless tank, with a pair of clownfish who are the most curious little creatures I have ever seen. Anytime something is in the tank, hand, bubbles, anything they immediately swim over to it and check it out. Is it bad for them to be swimming through new ro/di water that is added to top off the tank? I try and stop when they come by, but now it takes me forever to top off my tank. I was thinking maybe I should start doing it at night when they are asleep, but am afraid it may wake them up in the end. How does everyone else do it?

I just pour the ro/di water in it. the clowns like to play in the current and they dont seem to mind its ro/di. i have two powerheads aimed at each other so i have great water movement at the surface.

I just pour it in the main tank and it does not bother anyone. You`ll be OK.

just because someone does top off's in their main doesn't mean they don't have a sump. You know us old decrepit less knowledgeable people.... bending over hurts

I do have a 40 gallon refuge but it`s easier as Captain said to just pour it in the top. Hasnt bothered any fish or corals yet.

The only problem with a saltwater fish in freshwater is it changes the rates of fluid transfer across their skin. Effectively your clownfish is slightly more likely to retain water in his body while he's swimming through the new RO water. For the amount of time it remains unmixed, neither you nor the fish will notice any difference.

Pouring salt in a freshwater tank may have slightly different results, but still probably minimal.

Back
Top Bottom