Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ro/di unit

any one know of a good ro/di unit thats not expensive?? looking into getting one.. i was thinking about the coralife pure-flow.. any imput on it???

Amazon.com: Coralife 05692 Pure-Flo II 50-Gallon Per Day 4 Stage RO/DI System: Pet Supplies
^^^^ this one to be exact...

Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Consider a Bulk Reef Supply unit. They are a good mix of value and quality. I have heard mixed reviews on the coralife units. The 5 stage BRS system was recommended to me when I got into the reef hobby, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Reverse Osmosis Systems - Bulk Reef Supply

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

whats the differnece between a 4 stage and a 5 stage one? and how many gph do u get?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have a 5 stage 75 gpd unit. The 5 stage adds an extra filter of your choice. I would recommend it as whether you add carbon or another micron filter, it will make your ro membrane and di resin last longer. The prefilters are cheap in comparison.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I had a coralife unit. It was trash.

I upgraded to a 5 stage from BRS. Great unit. No problems at all with it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i think ima go with the 5 stage unit from coral reef supply.. now i only need money.. hahaha planning to sel some aquariums i have that i no longer want.. its now to much and just want to concentrate on one since i want to start a reef...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

reef tanks are definitely a money pit. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ohh yeah.. i hope that after a ro/di nd a new sump i wont b needing to spend to much more
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to tsharkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchakas
Ohh yeah.. i hope that after a ro/di nd a new sump i wont b needing to spend to much more
Here is what I posted previously in a different forum. Hope it helps!

I highly recommend going to your local hardware store (menards is the cheapest) and getting two or three clear or non-clear ro canisters. Most of the canisters have five or one micron carbon filters with them. You should get a five micron sediment filter for the first canister, a five micron carbon for the second, (it could be a one micron if you only do two filters) in the third you should put a one micron carbon. (some of the carbon filters have a sediment filter wrapped around them. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend) Then you will want to go to bulkreefsupply.com. This site will have your di portion of the unit. It will be about $40 for a single di canister. (use color changing di resin) Then plumb this into your main water source for your aquarium. (make sure you have a shut off valve built into it or you will always be filtering water and that will result in your filters clogging faster.
There are pluses and minuses to this method. It is much cheaper than buying a ro/di unit with a 98% rejection. (the canisters at menards are around $30 each) The system has no rejection which means you don't have to have drain line. You have unlimited water at anytime. You won't have to wait hours to get just a few gallons of water. The real only bad is that it does produce as pure as water as a ro/di unit with a ro membrane in it.
In this case it's your choice on do you want pretty good water that will cost you half of an actual ro/di unit, or do want great water that has a lot of rejection, is slow producing, and is expensive? Also take the advice of other users too and see what they think of my idea or just getting an ro/di unit.

Good Luck!

Tags
ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com