Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I saw a portables ro/di unit on amazon 75 gpd. You can connect to hose or faucet. Is this a ok size to buy if I have a 150 gallon tank, were I should i put water for storage and use for top off. And other storage should have water mixed with salt, I ask cause I want to be ready for when I have my tank. And do you need to buy conditioners to treat water or its not necessary. Any advice or suggestions cause space under my kitchen sink is a problem.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably best to get a quality brand b/c you'll be making a lot of water and you don't want the unit to work poorly or fail. You don't need to treat the water because all the dissolved metals and such have been removed (0 TDS) and it's just purely water. For my 70 g. I use a 30 gallon Brute trash can and make/mix water weekly for water changes. When starting, it took a while to make the water since I only had one trash can though.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo
I saw a portables ro/di unit on amazon 75 gpd. You can connect to hose or faucet. Is this a ok size to buy if I have a 150 gallon tank, were I should i put water for storage and use for top off. And other storage should have water mixed with salt, I ask cause I want to be ready for when I have my tank. And do you need to buy conditioners to treat water or its not necessary. Any advice or suggestions cause space under my kitchen sink is a problem.
I Don't know what brand yours is, but I've heard from several people on this forum that they use a portable RO/DI system from pure water club, and they like it. It's only about $75, I think. They recommended it on previous posts. That's the one I'm planning on getting for Xmas. in fact Gboy (Grant) posted a link to the one he uses on a post today, but don't remember with one his was.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

I Don't know what brand yours is, but I've heard from several people on this forum that they use a portable RO/DI system from pure water club, and they like it. It's only about $75, I think. They recommended it on previous posts. That's the one I'm planning on getting for Xmas. in fact Gboy (Grant) posted a link to the one he uses on a post today, but don't remember with one his was.

It's this one! He posted it on my thread.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=380341933047
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

It's this one! He posted it on my thread.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=380341933047
Yeah!! That's it! Thanks Jen! Nikki I think uses it too, and a couple others on here. They say its fine. Probably what I'll get.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

can someone explain to me how these work? i want to buy one the price is right for this one but i am not a handy man and dont feel comfortable messing with my sinks faucets

i saw a picture of it being installed on the bathroom though, any guides for installing it on my bathroom sink or bathroom shower? is it so easy a 5 year old can do it? lol
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid
can someone explain to me how these work? i want to buy one the price is right for this one but i am not a handy man and dont feel comfortable messing with my sinks faucets

i saw a picture of it being installed on the bathroom though, any guides for installing it on my bathroom sink or bathroom shower? is it so easy a 5 year old can do it? lol
Very easy

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2286179749.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	134192

Hook it up to your sink and you're styling... I put mine away after every use.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

so if i buy the item linked here what else will i need, and how long does it take to install uninstall

sounds like you just "plug" it in? than run the water?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea you unscrew the nozzle thing (lol??) on the sink faucet and screw the RODI adaptor in. Then run the water basically just make sure the waste water goes into a drain and the product water into a bucket... Where are you buying it from? You will need to make sure it comes with a sink adaptor. Mine did, but didn't fit, so I went to Lowes and got one for like $5
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

And by got one at lowes I mean an adaptor to work in conjunction with the one they sent me...

Tags
ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com