RO/DI Unit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bstrike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was told at the LFS that if I purchase an RO/DI unit I would need a pump to mix the water and the salt. I have never heard of this being needed. Anyone have experience? 8O

I use RO/DI water and salt in a bucket with a powerhead and a bubbler to make sure that it mixes thoroughly. I don;t see how the TYPE of water would play a role in whether or not thorough mixing and aeration is required.

I use a 30 gallon trash can ph and a heater, Dump the salt in and stir it with a stick a couple times and let it mix for 24-48 hours

I use a 30 gallon trash can ph and a heater, Dump the salt in and stir it with a stick a couple times and let it mix for 24-48 hours

Mine is 20 gal, and I use a 5 gal bucket to premix the replacement water that I take from the 20 gal. I only have a 30 gal tank, so water is not a storage problem at the present time. SInce I'll need to do a large water change soon (end of cycle), I'm keeping about 15 gal always at temp and bubbling in the garbage can. Oncle my tank is stable, I may reconsider if I need that much salt water always ready.

:?: Opinions?

We have a 120. We use a 30g garbage can to mix the water in. You definitely will need a pump to mix the salt into the water and an extra heater to get it up to temp for the water change (as well as a hydrometer or preferably a refractometer to measure the salinity). So your LFS was right. It just doesn't matter if you own the RO/DI or if you bought your RO/DI water from them... If you're going to mix your own saltwater you're going to need a way of managing the process.

Back
Top Bottom