RO/DI Units ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
It seems that there are many RO/DI units available for around $100. However there are also plenty of them that are $200 or even $300. Some are 2 stage, 3 stage or 4 stage.

What do you get for the extra $$$ when buying the more expensive units (ouher than GPD output) ?

Is it worth it?

What do you use?

I have one that I bought off of E-bay. I paid $100 a year ago and it works great. I have a 150 gallon that I filled with it and replace evaporated water every other day. I personally would save the money and try one of the cheaper ones. God knows every dollar you can save in this hobby is great.

The number of stages and other bells and whistles will add to price. Things like in-line TDS metters and preasure gages all add up. I recently purchased a system from www.thefilterguys.biz and am very happy with it.

I bought one off ebay and it was $120. It works so good and my dad is a plumber and hooked it up to a 60 gallon tank to fill it with RO/DI water. So when i get water i put my 5 gallon pale down an fill it up and put it in my fish tank. It's worth buying.

I bought a 100 gpd 6 stage ro/di with a drinking faucet and 4 gallon pressure tank from eBay for $135 shipped. Works great. Fish and inverts love it too. Bought a TDS meter from the same seller for about $12.

First 3 stages are sediment filters, 4th is RO, fifth is DI and 6th is carbon to add a little taste back to the water. Should you decide to go with a DI unit be sure to Google the subject of drinking DI water. There are several schools of thought as to whether it's safe or not.

AWI has great units and great customer service. I have the typhoon 3 and its a great unit. They als sell refurb units at a cheaper price. a 75 GPD unit is all we need and its the most efficient unit with the best rejection rate.
You want a ro/di that has a DI housing that uses cartridges, IMO they are way better then the DIs that lay down across the top of the membrane housing. They ones that are horizontal can get channeling through the resin.

Back
Top Bottom