Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

RO/DI Water?

So i've started a ten gallon FOWLR tank. So far I only have two turbo snails and five hermit crabs, but I also plan on getting two cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, a firefish, and a clown goby.

Basically, I have been using tap water so far. I've been dechlorinating it with Instant Ocean dechlorinator and have been using their sea salt as well. But I've just started to figure out the whole ro/di water thing. Do you think I should switch? I am considering it because it sounds a lot better but I just want a last opinion. And if I do switch, should i buy ro/di water from my LFS or get my own ro/di unit? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since you only have a ten gallon I would just buy the ro pre mixed saltwater at the Lfs.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For that size tank I would also say get your water from the LFS.

You can get a small decent ro/di unit thats portable for like $66 if youre interested.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #4

Okay so I should get the new water. Sounds good. Do I still have to dechlorinate water from my LFS? and is it already mixed with salt? Or do I have to do that stuff myself?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Most Lfs sell both just plain old ro di water and rodi premixed with salt. If I were you just buy the premixed . And no dechlorinator is not necessary with ro.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Great! That sounds simple enough. Thanks everyone

Just a question. Can I also just use tap or is that a big no no? I heard we shouldn't use it but if I can I'd like to.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I would buy both the RO/DI and the premixed for a tank that size. Use the RO/DI to top off water lost to evaporation because the salt doesnt evaporate and adding more saltwater would increase the salinity of the water. Use the premixed for your water changes.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Fish R friends, not food!

Tap water will eventually cause algae in your tank. +1 on retired_AF post. rodi for top offs and rodi saltwater for water changes.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I agree that using rodi is a must. I will however suggest you buy one. There are two common disorders that occur in this hobby, one is MTS (multiple tank syndrome) the other is BTS(bigger tank syndrome) more than likely you will experience both especially with the restraint of a 10g tank. You will likely want a bigger tank in the near future so save your money buying rodi water and get a system. Even with a 10g the system will pay for its self in a year or less, plus you can drink it, people pay big money for bottled water!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #10

Yeah I think I'll get the system because I'm planning another tank for the future, a 29 gallon tank. It might be easier. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

I just have a last question. Sorry if I'm a bother. When using a ro/di unit, do I use tap water to turn it into rodi water? I dont completely understand how they work.

Tags
ro/di, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com