RO qestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a 3 stage RO Maxxima Filter set up with a flush kit. I have been buying RO water for .30 a gallon for FW and $1 per gallon for SW. I want to start making my own RO water. I ran about 5 gallons last night and what precautions should I take.
I tested the water out of my facet a week or so ago and the PH was around 7.4 so I will have to add a buffer. But what else should I test for? What should I watch out for? Just want to make sure.
I have a 125 SW. FOWLR.

if you're adding a SW mix you shouldn't have to add a Ph buffer. that should take care of it. Test the Ph after you add the salt mix.

Even for top off water (to replace evaporation) i wouldn't adjust the Ph.

Also, most suggest throwing out the first few gallons from a new unit as the initial break in may allow carbon dust or other impurities into the water.

I got this from Aquarium Pharmicuticals:

"Can I run reverse osmosis water through the Tap Water Filter?

Yes. Reverse osmosis (RO) systems can significantly reduce Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) levels if properly maintained. RO, however, is not nearly as pure as deionized water. Many aquarists run their RO water through the Tap Water Filter to scavenge out the traces of nitrate, phosphate, silicate, etc. that the RO lets through. Running RO water through the Tap Water Filter will give you pure water and extend the life of the cartridges. DO NOT connect the Tap Water Filter in-between an RO system and a pressurized storage tank. The Tap Water Filter is a low-pressure system and cannot stand the pressure of a closed RO system. Simply let the RO water pass through the Tap Water Filter and collect the water in a bucket or storage container."

You may want to check this whole FAQ out. It's at:

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/articles/tapfilter.asp

This is what I am using right now. It's all I could afford at the time, but has been working pretty good so far.

So if my PH in my tank right now is 8.2 to 8.4, and I start using my own RO water that I produce, this will not eventually lower the PH in the tank? Right now Im not concerned about producing a salt mix of RO....just top off water.
The Ro system I bought has been used previously. I bought it from the same person I bought the tank from and he had just replaced the filters in them. I ran through 5 gallons last night so i will dump this to be sure.
The whole article above really confused me...sorry. I just connect the RO system to the outside house and I have one house the the good water empties into and one hose that has the waste coming out of it.

The article above is really for DI water which is suppose to be a more purer water than RO. Thwe article is saying that you can refine the RO water using their DI filter. This could all be proprietory of course...since they make the DI unit. Maybe someone else here with a bit more experience in this could help out.

As for PH levels, DI water is basically neutral and will take on the PH of the tank if it is just make-up water. If you are mixing the DI water with salt, then it will take on whatever the salt mix has. I think that is right.

Mike

I'm guessing you're talking about your pH dropping as a result of adding RO water as makeup/top off water? All you're replacing is evaporation. All that evaporates is the water...the minerals that set pH and alk stay in the tank. So, when you add pure water, these minerals mix with it and pH stays the same.
As for using the tap water filter after the RO unit, you can get an Aqua FX add on DI unit for about $60 if you wanted to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom