RO Right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashearier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The bottle of RO Right says for FW fish and Discus. Can I use this product for my SW tank as long as I add some pH buffer?

I acutally dont buffer my RO water at all. Usually what that is used for is to replace some buffer agents as well as some trace elements that the RO unit removes.

In saltwater those elements and buffers are in the saltwater mix. About the only thing I add to my tanks other than RO water is I drip Kalk on my larger tank.

So do I use the RO Right for the top offs and water changes? Or just for the water changes? Sorry I'm a bit confused on the reply. :oops: I shouldn't have asked about the buffer. Is the RO Right good for the SW top offs and water changes?

No. Don't use it at all. Your salt mix should set the proper water parameters for water changes...be sure to check it though...salt differs some from one batch to the next. Check pH and alk if nothing else. When you top off, use straight RO water with no additives unless you want to dose kalk. When the water evaporates, all the minerals are left behind...only pure H20 leaves the tank so only pure H20 should be added back in.

So you are saying that the salt mix that I use (Instant Ocean) has all the good stuff I need. Is there any point in having the RO Right then?

Ok thanks. Is any of the supplements used up in the tank and need replacing from time to time? Do any of you use this Supplement NO. 7 made by MYDOR?

Well it really depends on your tank. Each tank is a unique ecosystem that will have different demands.

Calcium is usually one thing that seems to get used quicker than other elements. I drip a kalkwasser solution to help maintain my calcium levels.

And no i had not heard of "supplement No. 7". what is it supposed to contain?

USAGE: Add 2-4 level caps (approx. 10-20mL) per 50 gallons, 1-2 times per week as a broad-spectrum total-supplement of over 60 components of sea water.

INGREDIENTS: ALL in ONE COMPLEX is a pH-Balanced and proportionalized-Blending of the Six Mydor Reef and Marine Supplement-Concentrates Numbered: 1-Calcium; 2-Strontium/Molybdenum; 3-Iodide/Bromide; 4-Vitamines/Amino Acids; 5-Minerals/Elements; 6-Iron/Thiamine/B-12, packaged as a convenient master supplement.

I've never heard of this supplement either. I use mostly Kent supplements. I'm not sure how well a combined calcium/alk supplement would work. The Kent Tech CB works well. It's a two part additive for cal and alk. If you're not going to test for it, it's best not to add it. Some elements can reach toxic levels quickly if overdosed.

What is Pro Buffer dKH by Kent Marine? Is this a source of calcium? Is Kalk just the way to go?

Back
Top Bottom