ro/rodi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spicemonkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess obviously rodi is best, but I am wondering if ro water is acceptable? Lfs 30 min away sells rodi for $1/g; grocery store 5 min away sells ro water .39¢/g.

RO water is ok to use but if I were you I would consider getting your own ro/di unit it would be far less expensive then buying it from a store. You could get one for about $150.

Holy cow... where do you live? Here, every store that sells RO water is 25 cents a gallon and almost all lfs I think are like 35 cents a gallon for rodi. Your prices are crazy!

But yeah, especially at your prices, I'd get the rodi unit yourself. I thought it was easily justified at my local prices but yours make it a no brainer.

Lol wow eeks i live in wisconsin in the city so i kinda have issues with extra run off increasing our water bill hmmm maybe i can convice hubby to embark hmmm

I've always been fine with using RO water. It may not be as perfectly flawless as RODI water but it never gave me a single issue. Still, if you can afford RODI I'd get it. If you can't then RO is still a perfectly acceptable alternative. I can't live without my RO system.

Maybe the LFS is selling the premixed saltwater that uses RODI for 90 cents? If it is just water, that is ridiculous.

Wow. I think I'd pass on that price.

I think that anything outside of tap water is good. RODI is ideal. I've had my new tank up for a few months now and have been getting water from the Glacier dispenser outside a local store. I believe it is carbon filtered, RO, UV and the carbon again. They have a screen that shows when it was serviced last, so I try to get my water close to that date. I've had minimal problems with algae so far. A little on the side that catches a little sunlight at times, but its not a problem. For $1.25 for 5 gallons, can't go wrong.

wow $1.25 for 5g!!! ugh sux to be me huh lol
I was actually using tap water that had sat in a bucket to dechlorinate in my 12g but thought I should do right by my new baby

TheTodd said:
Wow. I think I'd pass on that price.

I think that anything outside of tap water is good. RODI is ideal. I've had my new tank up for a few months now and have been getting water from the Glacier dispenser outside a local store. I believe it is carbon filtered, RO, UV and the carbon again. They have a screen that shows when it was serviced last, so I try to get my water close to that date. I've had minimal problems with algae so far. A little on the side that catches a little sunlight at times, but its not a problem. For $1.25 for 5 gallons, can't go wrong.

I used those dispensers for a long time. Right up until I got my own RO filter. They worked out fine for me.

I have a spectrapure rodi unit and I love it. I bought it because they are made locally in Tempe, AZ. And when I got it home I dropped it and broke a few fittings on it, I was so mad. I called them and they actually sent out the new fittings free of charge, I think they felt bad for me. I was honest about how it happened. To me, a company that does something like that earns my business for life. That is the ultimate customer service, and the unit itself works fantastic. I love it and have noticed an improvement in my water quality over the RO that I was using from a water & ice type of store. So much easier too but I need to hook it up a little more permanently, right now I just perch it on the back of my truck and hook up to a garden hose but I want to wall mount it and put the waste water that comes out in a drain and all of that.

Either way, I love my spectrapure and recommend that but at your price for water locally... any unit would be a cost savings and way more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom