RO, tests, filter questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWnewby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know where i can find a really cheap RO unit? without skimping on the quality of it?

Also, if i have a protein skimmer, do i need any other kind of filtration? and if so what?

and last but not least, before i get the RO unit, i wanted to test my normal tap water to see if thats ok to use, but im not sure of everything i have to test for, could someone list everything that i NEED to test for and what the levels should be?

Please and Thank You!!!!

-Jen

Try checking ebay for cheap RO units. That's where i get my 5stage 75GPD unit for like 90$.. If you start to go any less than 80$ i'd say, then you start to skimp on quality.

If you have a protein skimmer, than no. You need no other filtration. However, it is reccomended that you have live rock, which will count for biological filtration, and IMO it's the best kind. Gives the tank a more natural look and also takes care of the tank ecosystem. Can't go wrong there.

Well. when you get an RO unit.. all the tests come up 0% because it's pure filtered reverse osmosis water. Which means it removes all excess metals, minerals, and chemicals that may be in the water going in to the RO unit. Something called a TDS meter should help you out on this one and will allow you to test your tap water. However, i would just save yourself the trouble and go with the RO unit. It's a sound investment in the long run and gives you piece of mind because honestly, i don't think i've ever heard of anyones tap water being free of at least ONE substance that won't be a nuisance to a SW tank.

ok awesome, so i would just be better off int he long run going with the RO

OK, RODI water means pure water that you will now add salt (and trace elements) to so it aproximates natural sea water. If you do partial water changes often enought that is all you need to do. Most of us do not want to do 20% or larger PWCs once a day or more, so we add items that beneficial bacteria will be able to attach to such as porous rock, sand beds, etc. If you have enough live rock and substrate you will get enough bacteria growing and living that will eat the ammonia produced by fish waste, uneaten food etc, into nitrtite. A DSB, sump or refugium with macro algea or PWC's will remove the nitrates.

A protein skimmer will remove SOME of the disolved organics. No one item can be used by itself, unless you want to be a slave to PWC's.

So NO, you can't really do just one. Also you want a RO/DI unit not just a RO unit. Tap water can have 80 -300 ppm TDS, RO (Revers Osmosis) will cut that down to the 10-20 range depending on where it started. DI (deionization) will cut that down to zero.

Hope that helps a bit. Sorry, this is an expensive, but ENJOYABLE hobby to start.

ok well, i just tested my tap water, before i bought the ro/di unit, and everything came out to zero besides the ammonia which came out too .50, and the PH range was 7.4 which the thing said it should be between 8.2 and 8.4, but it was a saltwater test kit, does it matter if i just tested the water straight out of the sink? which obviously isnt saltwater?

But, if it was saltwater that i tested, and everything came out to the same thing, do i still need to get the ro/di, or can i just add something to make it come out right?

Just wondering

That`s a good article Larry gave you on tap water. I work for a water municipality so I know.

great article, thank you so much!
Just put a bid on ebay for an RO/Di unit!

Back
Top Bottom