Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

RO unit as slow as Christmas

Ok. So a few months ago I bought my 75 GPD RO unit. Just got it hooked up, purged, and working. Takes 20 minutes to fill up one gallon. That does equate to 75 GPD but, man, is that slow or what?

How does everyone keep their water ready and on hand? Do you guys just fill up a 65 gallon trash can and use that water for top off, water changes, etc?

I will probably have to do something like this because if I create RO water on demand, it will take me hours to do routine work like top off's and such.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

yup.

Old 08-13-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
HEHE

Well a 75 GPD unit is just that 75 GPD. IT wil ltake approx 9 hours to fill a 30 gal trashcan. I have a 100GPD unit and this is what I do.

I make 1 trashcan full for top off and 1 trashcan ful for saltwater mixing. This process takes me 16 hours.

I then make up a trashcan full when I either the top off or the saltwater mix are down.

Others setup auto top off systems with electric float switches and electric celnoid's to control water to the filter.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you just let the water sit in the cans??? do they need PH's? I figure the salt water one would, but what about the water for the top off?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
yea mine makes a gallon in 30 min........ mine is a 50 GPD
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about keeping the freshwater for top offs...i could use the same can for both salt and top off...when i do a change, i can put it in a 5 gal and mix it up the day before....so, is it ok for the RO water to sit??
Old 08-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhh. Ok guys thx for the advice. I know my title says "advisor" but that is for FW only!!! I am a true newb when it comes to SW.

I think I will do what Aaron does, but with a small twist. I think I will keep only one can of FW on hand. Then when I need to do my monthly water change, I can put some of the FW in a 5 gallon bucket and then mix the salt in that.

As far as what two11devan says, I think it is ok to let RO water sit. I would assume it can't go bad. I think it would be good to have a tight fitting lid on it to keep out any bugs, but other than that, I see no problem with leaving it sit in there. Not sure if one would need a PH or not. Wouldn't think so.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Monthly water change?

How big a sw tank are you setting up?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its a 40 gallon tank with a 10-15 gallon sump.

You think I should do more often WC than 1 a month? I have read people doing WC everywhere from once a week to once a month. Perhaps I should go with a happy medium of twice a month??
Old 08-14-2003, 12:49 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

WEll to each his own. People will swear by weekly, bi-weekly or monthly or even no waterchanges.

Its kidn of what works best for you.

Tags
ro unit, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com