RO Unit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, you can buy a separate DI filter for $40-$70 new

What's a DI filter? I thought the RO system was all I needed. Sorry to sound like and idiot, but I've never used an RO system. I understand the concept of it, but that's about it.

We just moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that there was a Rainfresh RO unit under the kitchen sink. I have no idea what a DI filter is. I thought it was all one thing.

Deionized resin will remove phosphates from the water among other things. Phosphates will feed all sorts of unwanted algae. Yes you can add a after market system. I got mine off E-bay.

What's a DI filter? I thought the RO system was all I needed. Sorry to sound like and idiot, but I've never used an RO system. I understand the concept of it, but that's about it.

We just moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that there was a Rainfresh RO unit under the kitchen sink. I have no idea what a DI filter is. I thought it was all one thing.

If it was me, "My Opinion" I would change out the prefilters too. If you don't know how long this has been there. Most RO membranes should be good for a couple of years. My RO will get me down to 8 TDS then the DI will get the water to 0 TDS. 0 Total dissolved solids is the best water to use. IMO

I have an under-the-counter RO unit already installed in my house. It's a Rainfresh 21173 unit: Rainsoft 21173 Reverse Osmosis System Compatible Water Filters

Perhaps it doesn't have a high gallons-per-day throughput, but would this be alright for using to initially fill my tank and then use for PWCs?

I was just looking at the info and the filters go Sediment, RO membrane then Carbon block just like most drinking water setups. Most aquarium setups go sediment, carbon block then RO membrane. Drinking water setups have the carbon after the membrane to remove any bad tastes. Just depends on if you want to leave it for drinking water or just tank use. If you are going to just use it your tanks you might want to consider switching around your carbon block and RO membrane. IMO

Back
Top Bottom