RO Unit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Pinnacle 3 stage 35GPD RO unit. What can I do to make it better? I guess I dont believe it is giving me optimal water quality. Should I add a DI canister to my setup? I live in Michigan and my water source is well water, the pressure is right at about 40 psi through the RO unit. Do I need to boost that? if so what type of pump would be recommended?

Thanks In Advance

Why do you think your water is not up to par? Algae issues??
A DI housing can help remove the extra stuff the ro does not. A booster pump IMO is a great add on to any ro/di.
Check ebay for a booster pump I got mine there for a great price. Aquatec makes the pumps.
Airwaterice also sell great ro/di units and parts.
40 is at the low end for the unit 70 psi is where it should be for making the max GPD.

you might also try H2O sicence on ebay I found that he as great prices. Boster pump for under 90.00. I would go with the biggest pump just incase you would want to upgrade your membrain to like a 75gpd.

the problem with going with a bigger pump is it maybe too much for the lower membranes and it may hurt them. My guess this is why they make different pumps. I know you can turn down the pressure on the larger pump but I would wonder if this would hurt the pump long term. I got the 8800 for under 80 on ebay.. Shop around you will find a good deal outh there.

Yeah its algae - Red Algae - small amount of Hair algae. My Phosphates are 0 in the tank and in the ro water. My nitrates are 20 and usually hold there. that is probably the issue. I do bi weekly water changes of 25 gallons. I think after reading many other posts I need to work on a cleanup crew. I havent had much luck with snails they dont seem to last much longer than 6 months. But maybe ill try again. I was also thinking about getting some sort of Macro algae for my sump. Maybe that would help with the nitrates. I have a turbo floater multi skimmer running it seems to do a pretty good job.

Inverts will do nothing to help with cyno, I have tried many inverts and NONE ever did anything to help with cyno.. Ok, Just because your test kit says 0 on PO4 it dose not mean its not there. What is probably happening is the cyno is consuming the PO4 to levels where it is not detected by the kit. A phosban reactor would help with the cyno. I had cyno with 0 PO4 and only after adding a PB reactor and changing out old lights and adding new filters did it go away. Siphon it out each time you do a water change.

I have a 4 stage 50gpd RO/DI unit. what does the GPD stand for exactly? I would like to get another 1/4 inch John Guest adaptor so I can hook one line up to the faucet and another line up to my python hose. Anyone know where I can get another one at?

Yea I read that at the LFS, I figured thats what it was...

The AquaPlus dechlorinator isn't needed with RO water right?

What kind of phosphate reactor do you have? I have seen the phosban 150 on fostersand smiths site for 150 gallon tank. I have a 180 with a 40 gallon sump.? Thinking if I were to do this and use that one I may need 2 of em. At any rate I have left my lights off for the past few days and wiped out the algae that way? if the algae is consuming the phosphate I should be able to get a phosphate reading I would think before the algae takeshold again. You dont think my nitrate levels are an issue? I also bumped my flow quite a bit I added a tunze stream 6080 - 1600 gph thinking that would Help also. If nothing else my fish seem to really enjoy cruising in the current. The lighting on the tank are 2 5ft VHO Aqua Sun Bulbs. I think they are 140 watts eacc that are about 6 months old now. I replaced my old lights in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom