Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO Vs Distilled Vs Filtered Vs Tap

I am just starting out on a 10. I filled the tank using tap water. I am going to give it a try knowing I could switch to other options later if I need to. What would be an indicator that the tap water is not working out? Algae? Dead inverts? Dead fish? Bad water readings?

I know that RO makes pure water, but then minerals and other natural elements need to be added back in. I assume the salt mix takes care of that in the correct amounts?

But what about distilled and filtered water? Aren't they at least better than using tap water if I don't have an RO source? They take out the the things in tap water that are added for humans but not good for aquariums, but leave the stuff in that nature makes.

I don't plan on keeping super sensitive fish, but do I plan on having some crabs and shrimp. I plan on regular water changes at 10% per week and wonder if the regular maintenance is enough to counter the possible effects of using of tap water.

Also, is it a different story for fresh water tanks? I have been doing fresh water tanks with tap water for several years, but with setting up this salt tank I really want to understand more about water source options.

I know that most people advocate for RO water, but I would like someone to talk to me objectively about the other options and if they are really that horrible to use. Thank you so much!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it going to have corals? Even with inverts I would suggest getting an RO/DI system because they can be pretty sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can use Tap Water but your going to grow some nasty algae, and weird sponge, all depending on how bad your tap water is. I ran a Fish Only tank for quite a few years using tap water, it won't harm the fish, and Soft Corals would be ok also.
You can use Distilled water also, that would be your best option if you don't have a RO/DI system, thats the next best thing.
Filtered water, like from a Britta or something? Not clean enough, and you'll go through a ton of filters if you do plan on using one. Its an option thats a step up from just using tap water.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do not plan on having corals at all. Just one fish and rock and a few inverts.

I am going to be checking local grocery stores to see what kind of water they carry. I don't know if it is going to be distilled or filtered, they might even have RO for all I know at the moment, so I thought I would ask about both.

On Monday, my tank will have been running with just water for a week and I am going to LFS to have the water tested (and get live rock). I am also going to take a sample of tap water for them to test to see what it looks like.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I run my reef tank off of distilled water that I buy from walmart. Been doing so ever since my wife moved in and my ro/di was removed when she took control over the kitchen and 'needed the space'. It works ok. It isn't 0 TDS but it works well for the price and would be a great source of water for a FOWLR.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I run my reef tank off of distilled water that I buy from walmart. Been doing so ever since my wife moved in and my ro/di was removed when she took control over the kitchen and 'needed the space'. It works ok. It isn't 0 TDS but it works well for the price and would be a great source of water for a FOWLR.

Along time ago I made a post about hair algae and you and a few others were giving me a hard time about using Walmart water. So I bought an RO/DI system and it was well worth it. Big change in my water quality and no more filling water jugs every week

Old 07-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yep, a huge difference. I sure miss my ro/di.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Yep, a huge difference. I sure miss my ro/di.

Why don't you set it up under your dt and get a fossett Attachment for it so you can run it at night.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Not on the table currently, long story.

Tags
filter, led, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com