Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

RO water ?

What is reverse osmosis water, why is it.imporant and where can i get it if needed ?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

RO water is water that is run through a semi permeable membrane at high pressure, to produce about 99% pure water. You then have to add additives to give the water any hardness, and so life can be sustained in it. Metabolizing life cannot live in pure ro water. Unless you keep reef tanks ,or are trying to breed fish that need extremely soft water you really don't need it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In saltwater if you use tap water and not ro/di water you end up adding phosphates and other chemicals from the tap into your tank. makes algae grow and gives you unhealthy water basically.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can humans drink Ro water ? Sounds really healthy to me , I usually use tap for lemonade , cooking , and such . A few weeks ago a list of additives came in the mail with my water bill and frankly it was scary ...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennagsimpson
Can humans drink Ro water ? Sounds really healthy to me , I usually use tap for lemonade , cooking , and such . A few weeks ago a list of additives came in the mail with my water bill and frankly it was scary ...
Yes, they once gave us RO water to drink at a sushi restaurant.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you can drink RO water, although it won't be very exciting no taste at all to it. Normally people drink DI water(deionized) if they have a purifing system in their home. It's good for making tea, and other drinks because it will take iron, and sulfur taste out.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Taste ?? Does water have a taste lol . Hmm .. Seems healthy to me ! Removes all those nasty chemicals .... Like having a mountain stream in your house ! Lol
Old 08-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was at a family members this morning and was making lemonade . When I turned on the faucet they told me to use the other one because it was filtered water . I asked what type of filter system had , they showed me and what it was a Rodi unit ! I thought it was so amusing that we just had this conversation and there it was attached to their sink !

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com