RO water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Omega

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok i might be a bit crazy asking this but is it possible to build your own RO filtration system or is there another way to get water clean enough for fill up and changes cause here in SA the LFS are very expensive, and i want to make my own water what do i do? :(

I don't know about DIY RO/DI units, but for the cost of a commercially available unit, it is way more simpler to just get a commercial unit. Now, of course, all depends what prices are in RSA. Over here, I purchased a 6 stage RO/DI unit for a little over 100$ CDN. Perhaps someone will chime in about DIY units. You may want to do a search on Google with DIY and RO/DI units. Keep us posted on your finds and Welcome to AA!!

8)

Thanks for the reply

I have done several searches but no findings. To give you a bit of an idea if I convert the rand value to dollar value they cost about $500 and I have thought about ordering one from overseas but im scared im not going to find parts if something goes wrong.

But will keep on searching

Thanks allot :mrgreen:

Omega said:
But tell me do you need to use water that was filtered through an RO filter?
Depends greatly on the TDS of your tap water and what's in it. You should be able to contact your municipal water control for that info or check online, the city should have a website. Generally speaking though it's a good idea to use RO/DI water. If nothing else, just DI (tap water filter) but that can get exspensive.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Omega said:
But tell me do you need to use water that was filtered through an RO filter?
Depends greatly on the TDS of your tap water and what's in it. You should be able to contact your municipal water control for that info or check online, the city should have a website. Generally speaking though it's a good idea to use RO/DI water. If nothing else, just DI (tap water filter) but that can get exspensive.

Cheers
Steve

Of course not knowing, if his country and city will even offer that sort of information. But I don't see a reason as to why they wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom