RO water is it the only choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyman164

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well it is at least 40 minuets to the lfs at least the one i trust where i purchased my lr from. So is there any other choice on doing water changes besides purchasing a ro filter. I live in an apartment so its kind of hard to explain why there is 50 galons of water leaking down into the unit below me so that is kind of out of the question. Well that leaves me with a long drive every week and filling and unfilling a 20 gal rubermaid thing with water. Well that brings me to the point, I have heard that you can use distilled water to do water changes? Can you or cant you.

oh ya one more while reading through some diffenrent things....

should i mix half and half which is half of my regular tank water and the other half new fresh water?

Question on water circulation: just set up tank been running for about 4 days now and i set it up with one power head about 3 inches below the surface with the air hose pluged in and and the other one about eight without the air hose pluged in. Should i adjust them to a different height because the side with bubles flows well and moves the surface water and the other just sits there. should i install the other air hose or no just lr in there now. And waiting for a new test kit....
Thanks
monkey...

Yes you can use distilled water. I used it the first couple years. I think you would be better off using RO/DI but distilled is better than tap water. I dont understand you 2nd question and as far as the PH I would take the air lines out. Dont have any bubbles unless you want to clean up the mess of saltwater creep on the back of your tank.. All you need is surface aggitation to get the proper aeration in your tank. No bubbles needed

I didn't know that about the bubbles

I use RO water that I get either at the shoppette from the machine and our Walmart has a machine as well. 33 cents a gal isn't half bad. I buy to 5 gal jugs at a time. And everytime I go to the store I'll pick up if needed or not. Makes it easier then making trips just for water. Don't know if that helps. I have the same prob as you. I can't put an R/O machine in base housing.

Andari said:
I use RO water that I get either at the shoppette from the machine and our Walmart has a machine as well. 33 cents a gal isn't half bad. I buy to 5 gal jugs at a time. And everytime I go to the store I'll pick up if needed or not. Makes it easier then making trips just for water. Don't know if that helps. I have the same prob as you. I can't put an R/O machine in base housing.

Now that is a good idea. I know everybody has a walmart 1/2 mile from the house :? But that is a great idea. Im making fun at walmart Andari not you.

correct me if im wrong. I came across an article on the web discouraging the use of distilled water.It says that distilled water has lost all its minerals and by using it in the tank, it might eat up the minerals of the tank n kill the corals.something like that.my memory aint that good.

is it true? cos i myself is facing some probs obtaining RO water.the nearest source is about 15mins away. but i could get bottled distilled just nearby. since uve been using distilled for yrs before switching to RO i guess wat he said is wrong? did you add any additional additives to the water?

just asking.thx

rev190 said:
correct me if im wrong. I came across an article on the web discouraging the use of distilled water.It says that distilled water has lost all its minerals and by using it in the tank, it might eat up the minerals of the tank n kill the corals.something like that.my memory aint that good.

is it true? cos i myself is facing some probs obtaining RO water.the nearest source is about 15mins away. but i could get bottled distilled just nearby. since uve been using distilled for yrs before switching to RO i guess wat he said is wrong? did you add any additional additives to the water?

just asking.thx

I don't like distilled water, but for different reasons. The distillation process can potentially impart harmful metals to the water depending on how it is produced and what materials they use. I much prefer to use RO, RO/DI, DI-only, or a Kold Ster-il unit.

Although I understand what is being said about distilled, I used FL distilled water for all top offs for seven yrs before I got my RO/DI unit. IME I did not have any problems and my corals and fish grew very good. I only have experience to rely on.

I use RO water that I get either at the shoppette from the machine and our Walmart has a machine as well.

I thought the water machine in front of the grocery store across from my apartment would be the easiest source for me as well until I asked one of the dudes at the LFS. He said you could use it but made a good point -- you can't really be sure when the last time was that they changed out the filter in the machine. Ya might just be getting regular ole water.

Make sense enough to me to avoid it.

so buy a TDS meter...for that matter, you cant know when the LFS changes out their membranes and really, who ever asks?

Hara said:
so buy a TDS meter...for that matter, you cant know when the LFS changes out their membranes and really, who ever asks?

Agreed. I don't trust anyone. That is why I prefer to make my own. Plus, it is cheaper in the long run anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom