Rock coming tomorrow says DHL... This sound good as my set ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, Live rock is on it's way says DHL. I have 45 gallons of water salted and heated to 82. I'm concerned about "prepping" the rock before putting it in the tank...

I have a 5 gallon bucket, salted and at 82 as well. Here's my plan so tell me if I'm wrong please...

Open boxes, grab base rock dip in 5 gallon bucket to rince off dead guys place on glass bottom. DO that with ALL base rock.. Then after ALL base is on the glass dump in the live sand... THEN grab the good rock and dip each piece 2-3 times to get off dead guys and build it up on the base rock.. AFTER all rock is in the tank, dump 5 gallon bucket to gather the living guys that were dunked off and place them in the tank. THEN FInally hook up my powerhead to my hose and pump in the water into a bowl thats in the tank so I don't stir up too much sand. Then turn on my 2 maxi jet 1200's, heater, and my Emperor 400 with no "floss" filter, just carbon in the baskets... Anything else?

Thanks !
Rich

Just a suggestion, Since you probally won't see Mr Mantis, :lol: do a high sg dip on the rock, then you will be able to pick through the wanted hitchhickers and get rid of the bad ones. Don't use the carbonated dip you will loose more than you want to. That's the only thing I would change. :mrgreen:

Don't use the carbonated dip you will loose more than you want to. That's the only thing I would change.

A carbonated dip of the same SG as the tank is much safer on the invert life on the rock than a high SG dip ;)

Well I can't win for loosing, :roll: Did mine with carbonated water. Then everybody said bad idea. :x watched the debate go back and forth and from the debate everyone seemed to be in agreement that the high sg is the right way to go. So I try that since I saw the mantis. I still have 3 gal of "seltzer water" but "not recommended" and Now I'm back to where I started. :? Dazed and confused. Seems like just when I learn something, (or think I did), and try and help someone else I find out I still don't know anything.

Thanks once again for straightening me out. 8O

Sorry, you feel that way, my position on the matter has always been the same. Mobile inverts and sessile inverts are very sensitive to changes in SG, PH and temp. Therefore, a dip that is closest to matching that of the tank, is better, IMO. I also do not feel that the carbonation harms any life on the rock, unless kept there too long. I noticed your mantis post, obviously the high SG can be effective as well ;)

As for learning and then feeling like you don't know anything...happens to me all the time, so your not alone, but in a very debatable topic like this, it's all subjective and people opinions (and what they think are facts) will vary widely from one to another, nothing wrong with that, it's just the way this hobby is.

Ok sorry I sounded offended, I was just feeling that I was beating my head on the wall and not getting anywhere. On a brighter note, wanna mantis? :mrgreen:

well i did a hig sg on my rock and all i got was a worm out. i did one of 40 ppm i think or higher and i really did not get any thing. i still had many crabs on the rock but now Mantis that i know of

Thanks for the input guys...
I'll add a little extra salt I guess to the dip !
I'll deal with the mantis IF I get one...
My understanding is that Other then the Mantis not too many other bad things will hop out.. What are these worms I'm lookin for? Bristle?

well i keep all but the crabs and the mantis for the most part. i only got about 4 live crabs off of my keys rock. there were no mantis shrimp in it that i know of yet. an i did get about 6 star fish all different color and types. i know that one is still liveing in my tank but as for the other one i have yet to see them since i put them in there. but if you do see a crab on th rock pull him out if you can or set a trap for him. a new cup with a peace of live rock, sand or cc to hold it down and then you put a shrimp in the cup. put that nexted to his home and wate till he tryes to eat the good shrimp in side and get stuck in it. it fored for me i got one crab in one night.

well ask reefrunner he hate them. most will not do much but can eat some corals and fish anything they can catch. so if in a FO tank they wold be fine but in a reef most are not good.

WarOrks15 said:
well ask reefrunner he hate them. most will not do much but can eat some corals and fish anything they can catch. so if in a FO tank they wold be fine but in a reef most are not good.

got it, thanks !
IT's going to be FOWLR for now then later a clown and a anemone

Back
Top Bottom