Originally Posted by GhostKnife
I have to disagree. Just "curing" the live rock however you want to go about doing it will not do anything. If the rock is dead living organisms/bacteria can not and will not just present themselves. If you take this dry rock and put it in a tank with live rock, living bacteria and other small organisms will attach to the rock and grow on it. However it will never be live rock that we refer to as coming straight from the ocean.
"Live" rock does not refer to the critters... it refers to the bacteria. By definition, any rock that has been cycled will be hosting nitrifying bacteria, making it "live." I can take a rock that's never been in the ocean before, put it in my tank, and make "live" rock. Would I do that? No... but just pointing out the "live" rock has nothing to do with hitchikers.