Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

rock dead or alive

HI, a friend of mine shut down his tank about a year ago, the tank has been sitting with no power or no lighting. Is the rock that has been soaking in this water useable, the water does not stink and there is no alge growth on the rock, If I put the rock in some fresh saltwater with a power head and a heater and no light for 30 days will it be ok to use in a new tank.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to the_elvish_misfit Send a message via Yahoo to the_elvish_misfit
Just rinse it good, if it was made for a fish tank, it shouldn't be unusable.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It will be dead or considered "dry". It will not provide any beneficial bacteria thus not being a good filter. You could use it a little for base rock. I would suggest not doing so. I would suggest getting live rock. If you do use it put it all in a large waste can with a powerhead on it for a couple to few weeks. Then you can use it however like I said it will not play any beneficial role in your aquarium whatsoever.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just treat it as "dead" rock, and you'll be just fine using it. Cycle it as you would normally and at the end of the cycle your dead rock will be live again!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO I would dry it in the sun for a week or two. Then add 10 to 25% cured live rock, in 3 to 6 months it will all be alive.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Merged threads. Please only post once on the same topic, it helps to keep the forum cleaner.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Just treat it as "dead" rock, and you'll be just fine using it. Cycle it as you would normally and at the end of the cycle your dead rock will be live again!
I have to disagree. Just "curing" the live rock however you want to go about doing it will not do anything. If the rock is dead living organisms/bacteria can not and will not just present themselves. If you take this dry rock and put it in a tank with live rock, living bacteria and other small organisms will attach to the rock and grow on it. However it will never be live rock that we refer to as coming straight from the ocean.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have to agree with Kurt, once you add an ammonia source the beneficial bacteria will start to host the "dead" rock.
Ghost, you would be very surprised what will grow off of dead rock. Some critters are able to go many years in "stasis" (for a lack of better words) and be "reborn" off old dead rock.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
its about the same principal of wat i do i buy bags of dead coral rock it comes dry and white andd it to my tank and within a few months i cant tell a difference between it and my fiji live rock. Also a world famous aquarium the Atlanta or Georgia aquarium does somethin simillar as well they make tons of concrete rocks and place them on a reef in fiji for a year its on their web site kinda the same principle. So want i am saying is if you have a good place to seed the rock it will become very close to live rock.
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to nickbme06
I would personally boil the rock. Then start over with a tank and cycle with shrimp for a month or 2 until you can add 2 whole shrimps to a 55g and get 0 ammonia in 1 week. At that point, you can use/sell the live rock as it once was before.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ct-113262.html
nickbme06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, live, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com