rock placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question about the placement of my base rock.I plan to have a Lawn Mower Blenny and a cuc. Should the rock be placed directly on the bottom of the tank or put a little sand down first? Any advice would be helpful.Thanks!:fish1:

The rocks really need to be stable to avoid squishing anything so I would at the very least place them down so they are touching the glass. Another option you could use is to line the bottom of your tank with eggcrate and then placing the sand over that. Pushing the rocks down to the bottom against the eggcrate will stabilize it more. It will also prevent any digging underneath the rocks.

I agree with the egg crate. I cut mine to fit, then added a thin layer of sand just to fill the squares. Then I put the bottom rocks on to create my base, most of which is now burried. Then the reast of the sand and finally the rest of the rocks. Very stable. I did space my base rocks out to form some substrate caves for those diggers to enjoy.

I agree with the egg crate. I cut mine to fit, then added a thin layer of sand just to fill the squares. Then I put the bottom rocks on to create my base, most of which is now burried. Then the reast of the sand and finally the rest of the rocks. Very stable. I did space my base rocks out to form some substrate caves for those diggers to enjoy.
The egg crate is a great idea. I wish I would of done this. I guess if you have a deep and bed too, that'll help... I drilled and rodded my rocks. They're not moving unless I remove them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom