Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2003, 08:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well that said. All I am wanting is to give my fish someplace to "play", I am not trying to build a live rock wall. I know this hobby is expensive, I'm paying $17.00 each for some fish this morning to go in my tank. I want to give them a more "natural LOOKING" place to live.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
If you are just keeping fish in the tank and then go to the local fish shop and look for some decorative dry rock. It should be cheaper than $5/lb. Picking pretty stuff up off the beach is nice except you never know where its been and what it could leach into the water (chemicals and crap). Buy the dry rock from the LFS rinse it good and voila pretty rocks for the fish to swim around in. Maybe even get them a castle or a cute mermaid

Old 11-12-2003, 09:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got 1 "one hole rock" from wal mart, and a piece of "resin driftwood", I know if I pick up rocks from the beach I need to boil them. The castle might be an idea. But I looked at a sw tank that had some rocks (what type I don't know), and thought it looked really good. I just don't want $300.00 tied up in rock my wife would KILL me.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 11-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It is not illegal to collect drift wood as long as you don't saw pieces off the existing trees in the surf. Unless you are going to the Keys there's not a lot of rock on the beaches. There is rock in the intercoastal that was placed there for erosion protection, but I would never place it in a tank even if you bleach it. I also would not place drift wood in a SW tank, that is for fresh water applications. Face it you either need to buy balas rock from a LFS or buy coral, both will cost you. I also remember reading you bought two fish for $17, that is cheap, quality fish go for $50 to $100, and if you don't understand filtration and lighting you will spend more money on fish than rock.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:34 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
quality fish go for $50 to $100
it depends on the fish. Dont ever make the mistake of equating cost with quality in livestock, it doesnt work out that way
Old 11-12-2003, 07:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
Quote:
quality fish go for $50 to $100
it depends on the fish. Dont ever make the mistake of equating cost with quality in livestock, it doesnt work out that way
Im thinking by quality, he is actually refering to the more expensive breeds I.E. Dog faced puffer, Lionfish over others such as those wonder (Yeah Right) Damsels.

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, Sorry but I'm gonna stick with damsels and clowns

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com