Rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I have my 46 gal set up and went to the lfs for some rock. All I can say is you gotta be kidding. $20 bux for a rock that won't weigh in at 4 lbs. Now I have a dumb question, Why can't I just go get my own? I mean I got family that lives on the coast and I'm going to go see them next weekend, why can't I go to the beach and pick up some driftwood and rocks in the ocean? If there is nothing wrong with this I may pick up some to sell, Shoot 20 buxs a rock ok, I'll go search the beach for rocks that I can sell for 5 bux :D . I'm new to this so I don't know if there is something special about these rocks or not. Anybody got some input on this. :?

Rock you pick up on the beach is not LR and might look nice but will not filter your water. You would have to go out to a reef to get the rock and yes that is illegal.

You could always go to FL and visit some of the great LR sellers down there (Liverocks.com) and get it for as little as $1.79 / lb :)

collecting LR is illegal. Don't know about driftwood ... sorry. Thougt you were talking about LR.

Most people would be leary of just picking something off the beach and putting it in there tank. Some FL beaches are not very clean.

I don't know the particulars of the laws there so I won't say anymore.

good luck.

Ok, I was talking about some rocks off the beach, I don't scuba and had a pretty nasty scare when I was young so I don't go out into the ocean, except for maybe mid calf deep. So unless I can get lr there I guess I'll be ok.

is this tank going to be a reef tank or even a saltwater tank. can you discribe it a little more. because if it is going to employ live rock as a filter the reason why you pay for the liverock is because the microscopic critters that are on the rocks is what will filter your tank. that is why it is called live rock. now if you don't want to pay this hefty price you have a few options. one not to be to harsh but reconsider this hobby because this is VERY expensive and nothing comes cheaply. two buy the rock in a large quantity at once and tank advantage of the discount. or three buy one or two small rocks then go onto ebay and buy some base rock for about $2 a lb and let the small rocks that you bought seed the new base rock. this method however will take a few months before the base rock becomes LIVE rock but no the less it will become live after a while. i hope i answered your question correctly and i do suggest strongly that you do a little more research as to what type of system you plan to set up and also what costs that may include. i know there have been many times where i have considered this hobby to be much the same as placing your money in a hole and burning it. but then i look at my tank and i quickly forget about costs and just enjoy! :p so good luck in whatever you decide.
kyle

kribbz said:
...buy the rock in a large quantity at once and tank advantage of the discount....

Said like a true aquarist! :lol:

To be serious, kribbs, you brought out some great points.

:roll: Well that said. All I am wanting is to give my fish someplace to "play", I am not trying to build a live rock wall. I know this hobby is expensive, I'm paying $17.00 each for some fish this morning to go in my tank. I want to give them a more "natural LOOKING" place to live. :D

If you are just keeping fish in the tank and then go to the local fish shop and look for some decorative dry rock. It should be cheaper than $5/lb. Picking pretty stuff up off the beach is nice except you never know where its been and what it could leach into the water (chemicals and crap). Buy the dry rock from the LFS rinse it good and voila pretty rocks for the fish to swim around in. Maybe even get them a castle or a cute mermaid :wink:

I got 1 "one hole rock" from wal mart, and a piece of "resin driftwood", I know if I pick up rocks from the beach I need to boil them. The castle might be an idea. But I looked at a sw tank that had some rocks (what type I don't know), and thought it looked really good. I just don't want $300.00 tied up in rock my wife would KILL me. :roll:

It is not illegal to collect drift wood as long as you don't saw pieces off the existing trees in the surf. Unless you are going to the Keys there's not a lot of rock on the beaches. There is rock in the intercoastal that was placed there for erosion protection, but I would never place it in a tank even if you bleach it. I also would not place drift wood in a SW tank, that is for fresh water applications. Face it you either need to buy balas rock from a LFS or buy coral, both will cost you. I also remember reading you bought two fish for $17, that is cheap, quality fish go for $50 to $100, and if you don't understand filtration and lighting you will spend more money on fish than rock.

quality fish go for $50 to $100
it depends on the fish. Dont ever make the mistake of equating cost with quality in livestock, it doesnt work out that way

Hara said:
quality fish go for $50 to $100
it depends on the fish. Dont ever make the mistake of equating cost with quality in livestock, it doesnt work out that way

Im thinking by quality, he is actually refering to the more expensive breeds I.E. Dog faced puffer, Lionfish over others such as those wonder (Yeah Right) Damsels. :)

Back
Top Bottom