Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree about the book. I normally like the "... for Dummies" series, but I thumbed through that one at the bookstore a while back and was very disappointed. Out of date advice, and just plain wrong advice in some areas if I remember correctly. Fenner's book or even Michael Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium" are much better ways to learn about the hobby.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I still like to recommend Fenner too - - except for the one, outdated reference to cycling with damsels.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks for the advice, I tried to start on these threads but I didn't even know the terminology. Now that I have finished the book, I will keep looking for more book and will definetly look up the Fenner one. Thanks everybody! Currently in one of my tanks I have argonite sand. If I was to remove the fish, add live rock and salt, would i need to replace the sand or would the bacteria in it aid with the cycling process? I understand the process of setting up a saltwater tank from scratch, I think but I haven't found very much about converting a freshwater to saltwater.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It won't work! Two different types of bacteria. You could rinse out the FW argonite sand and use that sand in a SW tank, but rinse it good or you will be starting out with lots of dead sand.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't mind having to start with dead sand, I just wanted to make sure that that sand isn't ruined because it has been colonized by freshwater bacteria. My plan as of right now goes like this:
Week 1: Remove everything from tank, rinse sand well, fill with salt water, put sand in
Week 2: Add live rock
Month 1-2: Fishless cycle
Month 2-3: Add some frags
Month 3, week 2: add a few fish
Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like a pretty good plan to me. That's about the schedule that we used to start up my first SW tank.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd add the fish first, THEN the frags... but that's just me. Water parameters will take a while to stabilize, and as the bioload increases from the fish, water parameters can possibly go a little sideways on you. Putting frags in to start with runs the risk that you may lose them if things don't go as planned when adding fish.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Take Kurt's advice on that plan. Frags later.

Also, consider base rock also when you do the LR. It'll be colonized as you cycle and give you a better, cheaper start.

Also, your schedule won't take that long. You can begin your cycle right after you add the rocks.

Don't forget your cleanup up crew. They can be added after the cycle and as you add fish too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright thanks that sounds good, I will switch the frags and hish. What do you think about adding a shrimp and a few snails at the same time I add the rock so that they will cycle the tank? They are pretty hard for freshwater is it the same for salt?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

When you're cycling, there are no snails or live shrimp. If the rock doesn't have enuf die-off (decaying matter), you'll be adding fresh grocery store shrimp to decay and start your cycle. Dead stuff cycles the tank. The ammonia won't allow for any inhabitants. You're pretty much stuck with the course of events we already agreed upon above. Don't change them!

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com