Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fird

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does it matter what kind of rock I'm using? I clearly have all types of rocks in my tank, I picked up from a friend and i have some I picked up at the lfs? As you can see they have different texture but live rock is bacteria based so it shouldn't matter, correct?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110904_015737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110904_015737.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 81
Kio707 said:
U should be fine as long as they are cured.

I've never buy cured live rock anymore. I love getting the rock straight from the dirty shipping box. My tanks which started with uncured live rock have 10 times the diversity of life (and coralline colors) in them. I just do a quick scrub with a brush, and throw em in. It's a little more of a cycle battle, but much more life. In fact, it may sound crazy, but I love to add a small piece of just shipped live rock to my older tanks from time to time. It seems to revitalize them. I always notice a major increase of amphipods and copepods after.

What would happen if I added uncured rock to an established tank one rock at a time?

You could start your cycle over... Higher trites, ammonia, nitrates. Could possibly kill your live stock. But I'm no expert, sure there are others with advice.

Fird said:
What would happen if I added uncured rock to an established tank one rock at a time?

If you have a healthy established ecosystem, you won't shouldn't any negative. I never do. No increase in ammonia,nitrates, nitrates, or phosphates. Of course my system has a total water volume of 130 gallons. I imagine if you have a nano tank, you might.

Back
Top Bottom