RODI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok my venture into sw is beginning pickkin up my 10g tonight my question is whats the RO and the DI is it nessacary to have both or will just one suffiice im tryin to find one for under 100 but haveing no luck

ro/di stands for reverse osmosis/ deionisation. Its a machine that super cleans tap water. RO is good for FO or FOWLR tanks.. the di will give the water 000 TDS which is what you want if you are doing a reef tank. Thats how it has been explained to me. I have a 5 stage ro machine and it works great.. I am only doing FOWLR..

Shane.

amdninjaboy said:
ro/di stands for reverse osmosis/ deionisation. Its a machine that super cleans tap water. RO is good for FO or FOWLR tanks.. the di will give the water 000 TDS which is what you want if you are doing a reef tank. Thats how it has been explained to me. I have a 5 stage ro machine and it works great.. I am only doing FOWLR..

Shane.

im doing a reef corals mabye a clown etc. is it 100% nessacary im having trouble findin a reasonable priiced one seeing as im only doing a 10g reef

Since youre starting small you can probaly just fill some empty water jugs and get the ro/di water either at your lfs or maybe a supermarket. My publix has a water machine, 30 cents a gallon.

You will only be using a bit of water when you start, after your stabilized and all you should only need a gallon or two a week for pwc;s
:)

Oh and ebya has some ro/di's under $100 BUCKS. I'll be ordering one maybe tonight

Since you're doing such a small tank I'd buy your water from the LFS or grocery store for ~$0.50/g. My LFS has it for $0.25/g and premixed SW for $1/g.

I dont think its absolutely necessary, im sure there are people doing reef tanks with tap water but its probably not suggested.. Especially on a 10 gal, you dont have a lot of water so having the best water you can would probably be the best thing. You can usually buy ro/di water from a LFS or grocery store/ water store. In Ontario, Canada we have 'The Water Shoppe' where all they sell is ro water , equipment etc..

Shane.

Yeah I've been using tap to top-off with, such a small amount of water but I'm definitely seeing the consequences of it, HA and a tiny bit of cyano starting to grow here and there.

From now on when I get my SW I'll grab a gallon or 2 to last me 3 weeks until my next PWC

il check around and see howuch rodi is sellin for n imm goin to lfs today so il ask :) how do ik there nt sellin me tap wter though?

That sounds like a good plan. I should have thought of that before ordering a 90 gal with a 35 gal sump.. LOL. You can probably ask them to see their water making setup.. Dont think they would say much about showing you.. Best way is with a TDS meter, TDS should be 000 if ro/di and very low if RO..

Shane.

Besides their bottled stuff (Which I wouldn't get and is probably overpriced anyway) I don't think they sell RO(/DI) water, none of the chain stores around me sell any kind beisdes the stupid bottled stuff.

It's usually the Mom&Pop shops that sell water

iDreamInSaltwater said:
Besides their bottled stuff (Which I wouldn't get and is probably overpriced anyway) I don't think they sell RO(/DI) water, none of the chain stores around me sell any kind beisdes the stupid bottled stuff.

It's usually the Mom&Pop shops that sell water

no ma n pa stuff here al chains petsmrt petco wally target stop n shop shaws

Most Wal-Marts have either a Culligan or Glacier water station sometimes near the ice things in the front, All you need to do is get a few jugs and fill'm up! Like I said only like $0.50/G and with rock and sand displacement you'll probably have like 8-9G of water.

iDreamInSaltwater said:
Most Wal-Marts have either a Culligan or Glacier water station sometimes near the ice things in the front, All you need to do is get a few jugs and fill'm up! Like I said only like $0.50/G and with rock and sand displacement you'll probably have like 8-9G of water.

sweet theres thia place a few towns over sells water idk if its rodi though

The grocery stores sell just RO, not RO/DI. I heard it's usually under 10 TDS, but never 0.

Back
Top Bottom