Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Yes, fowlr is fish only with live rock.

And no anemone if youre using tap water. Also, anemones are a hassle and move whenever they want and if they die, they kill everything in your tank. Clowns may or may not host it too.
Don't clowns need to have an anenome as a host though?

I tested my water quality, everything came out good.. but still no because of the tap water?
__________________

__________________
AaronChisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

Yes, fowlr is fish only with live rock.

And no anemone if youre using tap water. Also, anemones are a hassle and move whenever they want and if they die, they kill everything in your tank. Clowns may or may not host it too.
Yes true, plus your lights must be good too. Try some coral
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
You may see a bit of an algae bloom because of Phosphates that may have been in the tap water. Over time, the algae and water changes will remove it. Have you found a good RODI? I bought mine from Pure Water Club. Here is the one I got (150 gallon a day) but you can get a 100 gallon a day for about $10.00 less.

PureWaterClub.com
What is the cheapest ro/di unit you have found?
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rdnelson99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,861
An anemome would be out of the question if you are using tap water. They need pristine water conditions from everything I have read. Even for a FOWLR I would recommend you go RO/DI. I think you are setting yourself up for a lot of problems is you go with tap. You have no idea what the water conditions are before the city/county process it plus you have no idea what they add to it before it hits the water system. INHO the investment in a portable unit is worth every penny.
__________________
Since my tank is a birthday present to my wife, everything I spend going forward is just an extension of my love for her right?
rdnelson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
slitherbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 2,191
Anemones do just fine without an anemone. When a clown hosts an anemone, it just stays in it all day, which gets extremely boring.

What is your definition of "good?"
__________________
Lalala
slitherbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Anemones do just fine without an anemone. When a clown hosts an anemone, it just stays in it all day, which gets extremely boring.

What is your definition of "good?"
Im at work so I can't do another test to show you, but everything came out in the "safe" levels in my whole test kit.
__________________
AaronChisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
What is the cheapest ro/di unit you have found?
I don't know where to find RO/DI in the stores.
__________________
AaronChisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99
An anemome would be out of the question if you are using tap water. They need pristine water conditions from everything I have read. Even for a FOWLR I would recommend you go RO/DI. I think you are setting yourself up for a lot of problems is you go with tap. You have no idea what the water conditions are before the city/county process it plus you have no idea what they add to it before it hits the water system. INHO the investment in a portable unit is worth every penny.
How big are these units and how do they work?
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rdnelson99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,861
There is no guaranty clowns will host anything. It is hit and miss. Some will host anything. Frogspawn, hammers, torch, etc. I even saw a post where a pair hosted a tea pot. I kid you not. But, many wont host anything at all.
__________________
Since my tank is a birthday present to my wife, everything I spend going forward is just an extension of my love for her right?
rdnelson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
There is no guaranty clowns will host anything. It is hit and miss. Some will host anything. Frogspawn, hammers, torch, etc. I even saw a post where a pair hosted a tea pot. I kid you not. But, many wont host anything at all.
So what should I do with my tank if it has been cycling with tap water?
__________________

__________________
AaronChisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What RODI unit should I get? crister13 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 23 10-07-2011 04:38 PM
When to change RODI filters Buckeye General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 10-05-2011 08:42 AM
new api freshwater master kit abrahamavelar Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 17 09-25-2011 04:18 PM
recommendations on rodi unit Jereli General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 11 07-21-2011 03:09 PM
RODI unit artur General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 20 06-27-2011 02:07 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.