Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz
you dont have to discount normal tap water. sometime people have a good tap. i have used tap water for about a year now, but i have a really water with no metals or crappy things in it. + i tested it before i put it in my tank to make sure it was not essential to get a RO/DI unit. additionally, i dont have algae problems my tank is clean.
How did you test for all the metals and stuff??

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davePM View Post
Liquid test or strips? The strips are crappy, you should invest in a proper liquid test kit if you don't already have one.
Liquid
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz View Post
you dont have to discount normal tap water. sometime people have a good tap. i have used tap water for about a year now, but i have a really water with no metals or crappy things in it. + i tested it before i put it in my tank to make sure it was not essential to get a RO/DI unit. additionally, i dont have algae problems my tank is clean.
Not meaning to discount it. As long as you test the tap for all the things that could be harmful to the system it wouldn't be a problem at all. However, most people getting started in this hobby don't know what things might be harmful. For that reason alone, I would recommend to anyone new (like me) to use RO/DI. That is about as close to pure as you can get. Then, you have control over what you put in the water. Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
using something like aquasafe will remove any chance of heavy metals being in your tap water, but over time you will have an algae problem, the phosphates left in your water will be a constant source of nutrition for it. It's not a problem to start your tank with tap, as phosphate actually benefits the growth of the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate, but after that it will be a problem in the future.

I also have a purewaterclub.com one, i think mines 100gpd portable. its cheap and easy, I just bring my stuff from the shed let it run and put away, nothing in the way anywhere. As a renter drilling as few holes in the walls as possible is nice for me.

Tags
rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com