RODI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a piece of cake. Comes assembled. You hook one hose to the kitchen sink or a hose (tell them which one and they include the adaptor). One line is waste water and the other is the pure RO/DI water. Very easy.

Any that make less water? I have a 10 g and would only need like 3-4 gallons a Week. I know it eouldnt cost much to buy, but you have to drive there and stuff

I do 5 gallons each week. I can start the unit just before I start to siphon the tank and by the time I am done with replacing salt water and cleaning up the tank, I have enough to fill my 5 gallon bucket for next weeks water change. I keep 2 five gallon buckets of fresh RO/DI on hand as well as one of SW. I use the oldest fresh water to mix my salt water for next week.

you dont have to discount normal tap water. sometime people have a good tap. i have used tap water for about a year now, but i have a really water with no metals or crappy things in it. + i tested it before i put it in my tank to make sure it was not essential to get a RO/DI unit. additionally, i dont have algae problems my tank is clean.

AaronChisling said:
Im at work so I can't do another test to show you, but everything came out in the "safe" levels in my whole test kit.

Liquid test or strips? The strips are crappy, you should invest in a proper liquid test kit if you don't already have one.

AaronChisling said:
35 gallon, have 2 large pieces of live rock and some dead rock in there with 2 large bags of live sand inside.

Nothing in it as of yet.

We decided to go with a couple pairs of clowns.

Stick to one pair, anymore and your asking for trouble!

bootz said:
you dont have to discount normal tap water. sometime people have a good tap. i have used tap water for about a year now, but i have a really water with no metals or crappy things in it. + i tested it before i put it in my tank to make sure it was not essential to get a RO/DI unit. additionally, i dont have algae problems my tank is clean.

How did you test for all the metals and stuff??

Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

Not meaning to discount it. As long as you test the tap for all the things that could be harmful to the system it wouldn't be a problem at all. However, most people getting started in this hobby don't know what things might be harmful. For that reason alone, I would recommend to anyone new (like me) to use RO/DI. That is about as close to pure as you can get. Then, you have control over what you put in the water. Just my opinion.

using something like aquasafe will remove any chance of heavy metals being in your tap water, but over time you will have an algae problem, the phosphates left in your water will be a constant source of nutrition for it. It's not a problem to start your tank with tap, as phosphate actually benefits the growth of the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate, but after that it will be a problem in the future.

I also have a purewaterclub.com one, i think mines 100gpd portable. its cheap and easy, I just bring my stuff from the shed let it run and put away, nothing in the way anywhere. As a renter drilling as few holes in the walls as possible is nice for me.

Back
Top Bottom