RODI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronChisling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my tank before realizing this was neccessary, if I had tap water instead of RODI when I started am I good go to still?

I tested my water for nitrates, PH, metals, all the good stuff in a test kit and it all came out good.....

AaronChisling said:
I started my tank before realizing this was neccessary, if I had tap water instead of RODI when I started am I good go to still?

I tested my water for nitrates, PH, metals, all the good stuff in a test kit and it all came out good.....

Ya for the initial fillup your good. But ro di is necessary for water changes and top offs

slitherbomb said:
You can use tap water for fowlr systems, but they cause algae issues. I would 100% recommend an ro/di system.

For a fowlr you can use tap the entire time?

You may see a bit of an algae bloom because of Phosphates that may have been in the tap water. Over time, the algae and water changes will remove it. Have you found a good RODI? I bought mine from Pure Water Club. Here is the one I got (150 gallon a day) but you can get a 100 gallon a day for about $10.00 less.

PureWaterClub.com

Gboy66 said:
For a fowlr you can use tap the entire time?

Yeah, but as I said, it will cause algae problems. Tap water has nitrates and phosphates, and sometimes even contain heavy metals. It's safer to go with ro/di but tap water would do fine.

Yeah, but as I said, it will cause algae problems. Tap water has nitrates and phosphates, and sometimes even contain heavy metals. It's safer to go with ro/di but tap water would do fine.
fowlr (fish only with live rock) Correct?

Can I have an anenome for my clowns?

AaronChisling said:

Yes to the first part. And we have no information about your tank. Provide some, and im sure we can help :)

35 gallon, have 2 large pieces of live rock and some dead rock in there with 2 large bags of live sand inside.

Nothing in it as of yet.

We decided to go with a couple pairs of clowns.

AaronChisling said:

Yes, fowlr is fish only with live rock.

And no anemone if youre using tap water. Also, anemones are a hassle and move whenever they want and if they die, they kill everything in your tank. Clowns may or may not host it too.

And no anemone if youre using tap water. Also, anemones are a hassle and move whenever they want and if they die, they kill everything in your tank. Clowns may or may not host it too.
Don't clowns need to have an anenome as a host though?

I tested my water quality, everything came out good.. but still no because of the tap water?

slitherbomb said:

Yes true, plus your lights must be good too. Try some coral

rdnelson99 said:
You may see a bit of an algae bloom because of Phosphates that may have been in the tap water. Over time, the algae and water changes will remove it. Have you found a good RODI? I bought mine from Pure Water Club. Here is the one I got (150 gallon a day) but you can get a 100 gallon a day for about $10.00 less.

PureWaterClub.com

What is the cheapest ro/di unit you have found?

An anemome would be out of the question if you are using tap water. They need pristine water conditions from everything I have read. Even for a FOWLR I would recommend you go RO/DI. I think you are setting yourself up for a lot of problems is you go with tap. You have no idea what the water conditions are before the city/county process it plus you have no idea what they add to it before it hits the water system. INHO the investment in a portable unit is worth every penny.

Anemones do just fine without an anemone. When a clown hosts an anemone, it just stays in it all day, which gets extremely boring.

What is your definition of "good?"

Anemones do just fine without an anemone. When a clown hosts an anemone, it just stays in it all day, which gets extremely boring.

What is your definition of "good?"
Im at work so I can't do another test to show you, but everything came out in the "safe" levels in my whole test kit.

rdnelson99 said:
An anemome would be out of the question if you are using tap water. They need pristine water conditions from everything I have read. Even for a FOWLR I would recommend you go RO/DI. I think you are setting yourself up for a lot of problems is you go with tap. You have no idea what the water conditions are before the city/county process it plus you have no idea what they add to it before it hits the water system. INHO the investment in a portable unit is worth every penny.

How big are these units and how do they work?

There is no guaranty clowns will host anything. It is hit and miss. Some will host anything. Frogspawn, hammers, torch, etc. I even saw a post where a pair hosted a tea pot. I kid you not. But, many wont host anything at all.

There is no guaranty clowns will host anything. It is hit and miss. Some will host anything. Frogspawn, hammers, torch, etc. I even saw a post where a pair hosted a tea pot. I kid you not. But, many wont host anything at all.

So what should I do with my tank if it has been cycling with tap water?

Back
Top Bottom