Rodi or tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a nano tank tomorrow to start its cycle. I have access to an rodi unit however it will not be set up for a few more weeks. So can I simply use declorinated tap water and my salt mix to cycle the tank or should I purchase the over priced premixed saltwater from my lfs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tap water is full on nitrates and phosphate that is definitely not needed in a marine tank.

Use RO Di or buy it in the tank will only ever be as good as the water used and no point starting off on the wrong foot.

Just wait til the ro/di is set up. No need to overpay when you simply have to wait. This whole hobby is about patience, so might as well start with it now.

I just called my lfs and found out that they use tapwater for their pre-mix salt water anyway. Lol. Looks like I'll be using tap water. It's easier on me and the fish I will be buying already living in it

I'm sure. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of algae scraping. Totally off topic..... What's a good creature (shrimp, snail, ect) that will eat algae?

Use good quality water and keep nitrates and phosphates down as found in tap water and you will not have algae issues ;)

How do I keep phosphates down?

Btw I'm running Purigen in the filter if that does anything

Back
Top Bottom