Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well I am gonna have a few corals due to the light I got can support them. I may have 6-7 corals. So do I need a skimmer now or can i still skip it. Let me ask one thing that flew up a huge red flag to me. Quite a few people have told me after about a year or so if you have coral and live rock, you do not need to do water changes. I was told that the coral absorb the nitrate and feed from it. Now I didn't buy that for one second, I do it in my freshwater tank and certainly will do it in my saltwater tank unless this is some new discovery that hasn't been brought to light. I believe the water changes are for removing nitrates and whatever else mysteries are present. Does the no need for water changes make sense with a setup like this or is it a load of bolony.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m sorry I might not made myself clear. I meant to say that the DOC`s (dissolved organic compounds) would run up your nitrates not the skimmer.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Far from the truth about PWC`s. PWC`s do alot of things but the main two things is that they replenish trace elements that your fish and corals need. The other thing is that they dilute excessive nutrients in the tank that cause nuisance algeas. A tank that does not have PWC`s is bound for a crash sooner or later. My experience is that I do weekly PWC`s for 11+ yrs now. IMO you are recieving some not so good advice. Read this

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree totally with Mike. PWC is the most important chore that you can do for the well being of your tank. Not only do they replenish trace minerals but they dilute DOC and remove nitrates. SPS and most LPS corals eat up alot of Ca and you either Dose Ca or do PWC to replenish the Calcium used up by these corals. No water changes is a sure road to self destruction.
If you are going to have corals you will need a Skimmer because you will want DOC's and nitrates to be as close to 0 as you can get it.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's what I figured would be the case, I know pwc's replenish nutrients and minerals in fresh tanks and I assumed that would be the case in a saltwater tank as well. A skimmer will be required for what I want then, ok. I'll get one off ebay. Let me ask this about a skimmer. The concept seems very simple but are skimmers like everything else(you get what you pay for)? Also, what is the deal with using RO water, is it the ultimate water or something. What is the purpose and is it worth buying an Ro unit for my water supply, is the case with these the same as a skimmer(cheap is crap but you don't need an expensive one either
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Being that I work for a water municipality I know what they put in water to make it to your house. Good for us humans but bad for SW reefs. Read this

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

As far as filtering your water I would go with a RO/DI system. This is mine and it`s a bit pricey but I just want you to see what they do.

Reverse Osmosis Aquarium Water Quality: Maxxima RO/DI Units

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow I did not know there possibly can be that much crap in municipal water. Btw, thanks to all for the very helpful and hopefully money saving advice. If i buy an ro unit, will it come with a carbon prefilter or should i hook something before the ro unit
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

It should come with a carbon prefilter. Check out the 4 stage unit at www.bulkreefsupply.com.
That's the one that I have. 2years and no problems. They carry all the filters too.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how would the 159.99 setup do, I don't know anything about them as i have never owned one. I see more accesories for more money but don't know the benefits or downfalls.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would be okay, but you may not need that one. click on RO/DI units and look at the 4 stage units that's the one that I got $129.00 or something like that. check it out...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com