Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by jphendren
Tonight I added a small rose bubble tipped anemone. I floated it for 30 minutes, and then dripped it in a bucket for another hour. I sat it on top of the highest rock, under my LED fixture. Anyways, after several hours or so, it is still all shrunken up, the tentacles have not extended. This is the first anemone I have put in there, and am wondering it this is normal behavior? The shop where I bought it told me to put it high in the rock pile, in an area with decent water flow.

My tank parameters are:

Amm - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - 5-10ppm (not sure, the API drop test uses the same color for both)
pH - 7.8
temp - 78º F

Well I know my nem does not like it when my ph drops below 8.1 but like everyone else said once it gets used to the light it should come out

Sqasnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't have any personal experience with this so bear with me, I am just going off of what I learned from biology.
When you simply put the anemone in the brightest possible spot, it was the equivalent of you being in a dark room for an hour or so, and suddenly having someone shine a spotlight in your face. Your eyes have to adjust, so you would
A: close your eyes and
B: get away from the light for a little bit
That is exactly what your anemone is trying to do, adjust to the light.
You should just wait for it to turn up, and when it does, reposition it in a spot that is the same distance from the lights.

Harveyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
nitrates aren't making it hide. i would imagine it's the light. no, bubble tips aren't interested in as high lighting as some anemones. besides, all photosynthetic creatures need to be acclimated properly to stronger light. can you turn the whites off and just run the blues for a few days and see what happens?

i would not try to "reposition" it. let it be where it feels comfortable being.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Roses bubbles

Hard one for anyone to pass up. What a beautiful anemone. best thing is let it do its thing. They tend to move around quite alot after being transfered from tank to tank, but like most anemones it will settle down. But always remember they can decide to move at any time. Especially when they reproduce. be careful to watch your overflow slots and intake screens till they get settled down. Like most anemones they can live anywhere from a couple of inches from the surface to several feet deep. several of my clients have roses or green bubbles. one tank comes to mind a 36 x 36 x 30 reef. On one side of the aquarium we have 11 bubbles all from one mother.If you look at my pic's you can their parents. They range from the bottom to 6" from the top. One tip they love a strong alternating current. Good luck with your bubbles

saltwatertogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
The anemone has emerged! I walked over to my tank this afternoon, and there it is, sitting about 6" lower than where I placed it, in the light. The tentacles are still not extended, but it is still that rosy pink/red color. From what I have read, I should not attempt to feed it correct?

jphendren is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, bubble, bubble tip

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com