Rose bubble tipped anemone question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tonight I added a small rose bubble tipped anemone. I floated it for 30 minutes, and then dripped it in a bucket for another hour. I sat it on top of the highest rock, under my LED fixture. Anyways, after several hours or so, it is still all shrunken up, the tentacles have not extended. This is the first anemone I have put in there, and am wondering it this is normal behavior? The shop where I bought it told me to put it high in the rock pile, in an area with decent water flow.

My tank parameters are:

Amm - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - 5-10ppm (not sure, the API drop test uses the same color for both)
pH - 7.8
temp - 78º F

Jared

It might take a few days for it to acclimate to your tank. I dont think it`s too much out of the ordinary.

also, it's going to go where it wants to go, not where you place it. it's probably not going to do well at the very top of the rock, at least not until it's used to your lighting.
what lighting did you have again?

"what lighting did you have again?"

I have two 60W LED fixtures. They put out the same PAR as a 300W metal halide. I woke up this morning, and the anemone is gone! I have looked around the tank, but cannot find it.

Jared

well, then it's light shock. it's hiding in the rock.
there is no such thing as a 300 watt halide, but i'm curious about what fixtures you chose. i'm looking around for a decent but affordable LED supplier.

60Watt Aquarium LED Panel: AquariumLEDSolutions.com

I am running two of these panels on my 55 gallon, they are quite bright.

"there is no such thing as a 300 watt halide"

Sorry, per the manufacturer, each panels puts out the same PAR as a 150W halide, for a total of 300W. So over my 55, that is roughly 5.45W per gallon. These LED's are beautifully made, and put out quite a bit of light, but I do not have a PAR meter, so can not verify the manufacturer's statement. At my LFS, the owner has a similar 60W LED fixture over what appears to be a 30 gallon tall, and she mentioned that it was bleaching out her SPS! I'm not sure on the tank size, I'll have to ask her, but it appeared to be smaller than my 55.

So the anemone should re-appear at a later time? My wife is upset, she didn't want me to buy an anemone this early in our tank's life (3 months), and now $70 has walked off LOL.

Jared

i would think it should come out of hiding eventually. unless your parameters aren't optimal for some reason.
can you dim those fixtures? maybe you could turn them down a little, and gradually power them up over a period of a couple weeks.

Well, my wife found the RBTA! It climbed down under a rock ledge, and is sitting there in the shade. Hopefully it will come out when it is ready. Unfortunately the LED's are not dimmable.

Jared

I would try to put some plastic screens between the led's and the tank to try to lower the intensity and gradually remove one screen a week,also keep an eye on your phosphates and yep way too early for a nem

Well, the anemone has disappeared once more. Now I cannot find it, it must have climbed into a hole in the liverock. I have not seen it since the night that I put it in. Should I try and find it? Or leave it be, and maybe someday it will come out? My nitrates are now down to between 0 and 5 ppm. I have been keeping up with my water changes and the nitrates have been slowly dropping each week.

I don't understand why it would not like my LED's, I thought these things love high lighting?

Jared

jphendren said:
Tonight I added a small rose bubble tipped anemone. I floated it for 30 minutes, and then dripped it in a bucket for another hour. I sat it on top of the highest rock, under my LED fixture. Anyways, after several hours or so, it is still all shrunken up, the tentacles have not extended. This is the first anemone I have put in there, and am wondering it this is normal behavior? The shop where I bought it told me to put it high in the rock pile, in an area with decent water flow.

My tank parameters are:

Amm - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - 5-10ppm (not sure, the API drop test uses the same color for both)
pH - 7.8
temp - 78º F

Jared

Well I know my nem does not like it when my ph drops below 8.1 but like everyone else said once it gets used to the light it should come out

I don't have any personal experience with this so bear with me, I am just going off of what I learned from biology.
When you simply put the anemone in the brightest possible spot, it was the equivalent of you being in a dark room for an hour or so, and suddenly having someone shine a spotlight in your face. Your eyes have to adjust, so you would
A: close your eyes and
B: get away from the light for a little bit
That is exactly what your anemone is trying to do, adjust to the light.
You should just wait for it to turn up, and when it does, reposition it in a spot that is the same distance from the lights.

nitrates aren't making it hide. i would imagine it's the light. no, bubble tips aren't interested in as high lighting as some anemones. besides, all photosynthetic creatures need to be acclimated properly to stronger light. can you turn the whites off and just run the blues for a few days and see what happens?

i would not try to "reposition" it. let it be where it feels comfortable being.

Roses bubbles

Hard one for anyone to pass up. What a beautiful anemone. best thing is let it do its thing. They tend to move around quite alot after being transfered from tank to tank, but like most anemones it will settle down. But always remember they can decide to move at any time. Especially when they reproduce. be careful to watch your overflow slots and intake screens till they get settled down. Like most anemones they can live anywhere from a couple of inches from the surface to several feet deep. several of my clients have roses or green bubbles. one tank comes to mind a 36 x 36 x 30 reef. On one side of the aquarium we have 11 bubbles all from one mother.If you look at my pic's you can their parents. They range from the bottom to 6" from the top. One tip they love a strong alternating current. Good luck with your bubbles

Fishman

The anemone has emerged! I walked over to my tank this afternoon, and there it is, sitting about 6" lower than where I placed it, in the light. The tentacles are still not extended, but it is still that rosy pink/red color. From what I have read, I should not attempt to feed it correct?

Jared

Back
Top Bottom