Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rose bulb anemone

I just introduced a rose bulb anemone into my aquarium and my clown is wanting to host it. Problem is my rose bulb keeps going stiff and gets stiffer the more it plays in it. Is it trying to reject the clown???

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It could be. Sometimes clowns are too rough on anemones, especially if they are not large enough.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's a fairly large anemone pretty decent size big enough for the clown but I jut checked on it and it's started to move around and has opened up now I think it was just kind of stressed

Old 04-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok now what am I supposed to do when it moves behind my rock!?!?!? I want it to be out and noticeable not hidden in the shadows

Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can't control where the anemone goes. It is a living creature after all. Still sounds like the clown is too rough on it. But to be safe, how long have you had the anemone, how big is the tank, what kind of lighting is over the tank, and current parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you mean by the clown is too rough??? My LFS has to order a new test kit as they have ran out of a lot of the things they need so I don't know my parameters. The rose bulb seems to have moved to the back of the rock and is staying there completely opened but not a lot of light reaches that area is there a way I could encourage it to move???

Old 04-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Pointing a powerhead towards it could help it to...make a decision to move...but it could retreat further into the rocks and with less light = dead anemone.
But, I again am curious as to the size of the tank and the lighting over it. An anemone on the move is not a happy anemone. There is a reason for that.
When it comes to checking parameters, you need to get a test kit of your own. If you want to keep a creature as sensitive as an anemone, you need to know what is going on in that tank. Your LFS not having what is necessary to test on top of many using inaccurate test strips over liquid tests leaves too much to fail IMO.
In terms of an anemone being 'too rough', this happens all the time. Think of it as an abusive relationship if that helps. The fish wants the relationship to continue and as it swims through the anemone is nips and bites at it along with rubbing up against it. This might be too much for the anemone, causing the type of stress. It is uncommon, but not rare enough not to put the idea on the plate.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's a 50 gallon FOWLR. The fish was nipping a little bit and rubbing against it about 20 minutes after I introduced the nem to the tank I saw on someone else's thread that the lights I have are not good enough for nems supposedly but I did not know that until late last night after I got the nem my uncle gave them to me off of his sump it's Orbit LEDs??? I believe he said he said? He told me they could support them and corals so I took them

Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Brutal...but that does kinda make it the start of a reef tank then Look into the taotronics units and similar. Save you money on the units.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the orbit led's on my 50 gallon cube and my RBTA wasn't very happy. It stretched out towards the light. I got rid of the orbits and got a kessil 350w now my RBTA is happy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
anemone, bulb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com