Rowaphos sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Rowaphos or phosban. I'll look for them tomorrow. I knew the po4 was high and was worried about the alk also. Glad I only need to look into the po4 at this time.

thanks guys

Kurt_Nelson said:
chase33 said:
Rowaphos or phosban. I'll look for them tomorrow. I knew the po4 was high and was worried about the alk also. Glad I only need to look into the po4 at this time.

thanks guys

I've used these...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=ROWA-728632&Category_Code=

...and they're great. Pricey, but they do the job well. You won't go through them all, but they're handy to have around just in case.
How do you use them? Can I just stick one in the sump?

I've used them in a small canister HOB (Marineland HOT Magnum, 250gph). I think you want it somewhere where water will be forced through it and can't bypass, not just sitting passively somewhere. Anybody else out there use these any differently?

*We were getting off topic, so I split this from the other thread.

I think regular Rowaphos (or Phosban) would be better than the sponge, right now at least. It appears it will do a more efficient job at removing PO4, and may save some money. The sponge says it's a combo of Rowaphos and carbon. It also doesn't say how much/many to use per gal like regular Rowaphos media. I think water would more easily pass through regular Rowaphos making it better for passive usage(as you said Kurt). Here is what I mean by regular Rowaphos Chase33- http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...n=PROD&Product_Code=ROWA-RP-10&Category_Code=

I purchased the RowaPhos and a Fluval 305 cannister filter last week. Last Tuesday I setup the filter with the RowaPhos, some Purigen and activated carbon since it came free with the cannister. Saturday I performed a 20% water change. Sunday I performed my tests with the following results:
Ammonia & Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5
PH = 8.4
Phosphate = 0.03

It looks like it is working in the sense the PO4 has come down to a respectable level.

Since I am running purigen I plan on removing the carbon once it exhausts. Any suggestions on what I should replace it with if anything, or should I continue to run chemi-pure or some carbon?

You can replace it with another bag of purigen. I run two in my 55 (even though the directions say 1 for 100gallons).

Question about the Purigen, if I may hijack. :)

Once it exhausts, it doesn't leach back into the tank does it? I'm planning on adding some to my tank and just want to make sure. Since it will be in the canister I won't be able to see when it exhausts and since I'm using tap water I'm sure it will exhaust faster than someone using RO water.

You can just check it when you do your PWCs and filter cleaning.

While I don't have the Seachem literature in front of me, I remember reading that supposedly it does NOT leach back into the system when "full".

Chase33 - I'd just run with the Purigen only after the AC is exhausted. I took out my AC "cold turkey" and switched to Purigen only almost two months ago. I haven't noticed anything bad happening. My water parameters were perfect before, and they're perfect now, so no real proof there. But I can say that the "slick" on top of my water has dramatically decreased (and is just plain nonexistant some days) since using the Purigen.

Thanks Kurt, that's what I'll do. Roka64, I already run to bags of the purigen. I'll have an open tray in the filter. No big deal though. thanks,

Back
Top Bottom