Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

RSM 130D Cycling

We have set up and started a RSM 130D 4 days ago. We are using dry rock and sand. The set up is stock and all running. We are using the red sea reef salt and nitro bac. Also purchased a RO system and using the RO water in the tank.

My question is will the tank cycle as is or do I need to add something else to get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle going.

Thanks for the assistance!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good article on cycling

Cycle your salt tank

Hope that helps!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #3

Instead of the shrimp, could I use frozen bloodworms, flake food, or freeze dried tubifex worms? I have freshwater tanks, but this is the first saltwater adventure.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can also use pure ammonia, thats what I use. It allows you to accurately dose the tank up to 4ppm of ammonia. But anything that will "rot" and cause ammonia can work. It just may take more time.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
We have set up and started a RSM 130D 4 days ago. We are using dry rock and sand. The set up is stock and all running. We are using the red sea reef salt and nitro bac. Also purchased a RO system and using the RO water in the tank.

My question is will the tank cycle as is or do I need to add something else to get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle going.

Thanks for the assistance!
Does it overheat at all? Mine overheats so bad I have to open up the first part and blown a house fan on it. It still stays around 82
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

Thanks Carey. I have pure ammonia but wasn't sure if it could be used in a saltwater setup.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

Hi redsea. At this point the only time the tank was too warm was during the initial fill up and when I did not turn on the cooling fan in the back. I have been running the fan day and night and the tank does warm up one or two degrees during the day. The only catch is I am only running the lights about six hours a day. Probably going to have the same issue as you if the high summer temps come back.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yup, pure ammonia will work just fine. And in my opinion and experience makes the cycle go so much faster. Just try to get all the rock you are planning on in there before you start so it can harbor all the new bacteria.

My cube runs at 81 degrees consistently. I keep the back hood door open too. I think it's the lights and inadequate fans. One day I'm gonna upgrade those darn fans if I ever get to it. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Hi redsea. At this point the only time the tank was too warm was during the initial fill up and when I did not turn on the cooling fan in the back. I have been running the fan day and night and the tank does warm up one or two degrees during the day. The only catch is I am only running the lights about six hours a day. Probably going to have the same issue as you if the high summer temps come back.
thanks, how do you turn on the cooling fan in the back? in mine it doesn't even look like there is a fan there......
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #10

I just checked the temp and it is running at 78 almost 79. It was 77 this morning.

Our tank came with the fan for the back. There should be a removable grill above the bio/charcoal/return tube area. The fan runs on it's own plug. If I remember correctly the fan is around nine dollars. Not sure how long they last being so close to the saltwater.

Haven't ventured in looking at replacing the fans by the light. Kind of scared to look!

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com