RSM 130D Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deborah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have set up and started a RSM 130D 4 days ago. We are using dry rock and sand. The set up is stock and all running. We are using the red sea reef salt and nitro bac. Also purchased a RO system and using the RO water in the tank.

My question is will the tank cycle as is or do I need to add something else to get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle going.

Thanks for the assistance! :)

Instead of the shrimp, could I use frozen bloodworms, flake food, or freeze dried tubifex worms? I have freshwater tanks, but this is the first saltwater adventure.

You can also use pure ammonia, thats what I use. It allows you to accurately dose the tank up to 4ppm of ammonia. But anything that will "rot" and cause ammonia can work. It just may take more time.

We have set up and started a RSM 130D 4 days ago. We are using dry rock and sand. The set up is stock and all running. We are using the red sea reef salt and nitro bac. Also purchased a RO system and using the RO water in the tank.

My question is will the tank cycle as is or do I need to add something else to get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle going.

Thanks for the assistance! :)

Does it overheat at all? Mine overheats so bad I have to open up the first part and blown a house fan on it. It still stays around 82:(

Thanks Carey. I have pure ammonia but wasn't sure if it could be used in a saltwater setup.

Hi redsea. At this point the only time the tank was too warm was during the initial fill up and when I did not turn on the cooling fan in the back. I have been running the fan day and night and the tank does warm up one or two degrees during the day. The only catch is I am only running the lights about six hours a day. Probably going to have the same issue as you if the high summer temps come back.

Yup, pure ammonia will work just fine. And in my opinion and experience makes the cycle go so much faster. Just try to get all the rock you are planning on in there before you start so it can harbor all the new bacteria. :)

My cube runs at 81 degrees consistently. I keep the back hood door open too. I think it's the lights and inadequate fans. One day I'm gonna upgrade those darn fans if I ever get to it. lol

Hi redsea. At this point the only time the tank was too warm was during the initial fill up and when I did not turn on the cooling fan in the back. I have been running the fan day and night and the tank does warm up one or two degrees during the day. The only catch is I am only running the lights about six hours a day. Probably going to have the same issue as you if the high summer temps come back.

thanks, how do you turn on the cooling fan in the back? in mine it doesn't even look like there is a fan there......

I just checked the temp and it is running at 78 almost 79. It was 77 this morning.

Our tank came with the fan for the back. There should be a removable grill above the bio/charcoal/return tube area. The fan runs on it's own plug. If I remember correctly the fan is around nine dollars. Not sure how long they last being so close to the saltwater.

Haven't ventured in looking at replacing the fans by the light. Kind of scared to look!

The bicoube upgraded fans are on ebay for $20. :) I hear that you can use regular ole computer fans as well with the proper connector.

Ah thanks for the tip. Will have to check out comp fans sometime.

I need some thoughts on the water perimeters. As of this morning they are,
PH 8.0
Ammonia .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
I have small dots of brown growing on the sand.
My question is how do I have nitrates with no nitrites? We did get one piece of live rock Sunday. (all the other rock is dry from BRS) Could the nitrates be from the live rock?

Back
Top Bottom