Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ruby red scooter blenny?

Put one on hold today. I have three days to decide if I want him. My tank is a 30 gallon tank that is 36" long. I am running a 20 gallon sump. I have 55 pounds of lr in sump and tank. No protein skimmer yet. But am doing 5 gallon water changes a week. All water pentameter a are good to go. I currently have a o. Clown, royal gramme and fire goby. All is doing great. I found a male ruby red scooter blenny and am in love with the little guy. The owner said he would put a hold on him till Friday to give me TE to think/research the species. Any of y'all have any thoughts or experience with this fish. It will be my sons 10 bday present. All he has asked for is a red blenny. It will probably end up in his 29 gallon bio cube after Christmas.

It's a 60.00 fish so really wanna know what I'm getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think right now, that unfortunately, that would be a bad idea. :-(

They eat only pods, similar to mandarins..... Even my lfs wont bring them in anymore as they dont do well and he has lost way more of them than he has sold.

Do you have a pod population at all?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what I was afraid of. Cary not much of one. But note enough to support a mandarin. He claims it eats frozen pods but I'm not going to kill a fish because I just want one. I'm also very busy with kids, work and not home 5 times a day to feed. My fish get feed one time a day at most. He was telling me they eat pellets and flakes. The more I read I am finding that to be B.S. Think I'm going to not get him

Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would ask to see it eat. I got a Ruby Red a while ago and although it is not visible much, it is gorgeous. Mine is in a 60g reef with a 25g sump/fuge. I've purchased pods a couple times, but am honestly not sure how much of a population I have. I look at night and see a few in the fuge and a few in the tank, but not tons. I wonder if it eats any of the Mysis that my Chalk Bass misses.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...756EFE98E2.jpg

Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with Carey, the scooters are really dragonets and have the same demanding care requirements. Even if it's trained on frozen it's still going to require multiple feedings a day and will be easily out competed for food by your current stock. I think you should pass on this one.

Tags
blenny, red, scooter blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com