Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rule of thumb for cost?

I am finally getting a house and want to set up an aquarium

I remember a while ago reading about a rule of thumb though when figuring out the cost of an aqurium (like the # of gallons X some number=average cost). Anyknow know what im talking about?

I am trying to figure out what size I can afford 8O

Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

My 155 was $38 per. That was everything but critters. I'd love to see what others did. I believe I've heard $25 or so before.

What size you thinkin' about anyway?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
My 155 was $38 per. That was everything but critters. I'd love to see what others did. I believe I've heard $25 or so before.

What size you thinkin' about anyway?
50-75

Was looking at the 24" nanocube though, but thought it might be too hard since its smaller.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Small is hard in this hobby IMO. Too bad you're not near. Got a brand new 72g bow setup to get rid of.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Typically, 29 gallons is suggested as the smallest size to start with. That being said, the nanocube has you just a twinge under that, so it would not be unreasonable. Nice features to the nanocubes are the appearance and the fact that they are overall self-contained. However, the simplicity of being self-contained also means that customization (wanting to increase the lighting, add a protein skimmer, etc.) becomes much more difficult.
The price per gallon changes substantially depending on whether you want to keep corals or not. With corals, I typically hear $30+/gallon. I am just a bit under $30/gallon for my 29. Without, it might be closer to $20/gallon.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

At this point counting 135 gal tank and glass covers, enclosed stand, 30 gal refugium, RO DI system,protien skimmer, heaters, salt mixes, 120lbs argonite, 120lbs liverock, wave makers and timers and 2 metal halide pendants, I have $1,500 into the tank, + livestock. If you shop around and do much of the work yourself you can keep prices down.
Good Luck
Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
My 75 Gal - About $1,300 into w/o livestock. 60lb LR, 80lb LS, 4 powerhead, 265watt, heater, skimmer, fluval, 18 gal sump, return, overflow, test kits, tools and salt.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmmmm .. I don't think I have ever figured out what I've spent.

Tank = Free
Stand = Free
Lights = $170
Filter = $35
PowerHeads ~ $40
LR = approx. 80lbs. $450 depending on price?
LS = about $80

so actual tank setup cost $775 approx. with a big portion saved by the tank and stand given to me.

Livestock ... well some was free through trades and some I've purchased. All together I would say $1000 after said and done! This of course does not include maintenance and other products, food, vitamins , additives etc.

Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rs_133.jpg (71.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ls_148.jpg (75.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg fts1_159.jpg (64.4 KB, 12 views)

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
hmmmm .. I don't think I have ever figured out what I've spent.
Me either, I don't think I really want to know! LOL!
I did keep almost all of my reciepts....maybe one day I'll add it up....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com