Rule of thumb for cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zidion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am finally getting a house and want to set up an aquarium :D

I remember a while ago reading about a rule of thumb though when figuring out the cost of an aqurium (like the # of gallons X some number=average cost). Anyknow know what im talking about?

I am trying to figure out what size I can afford 8O

My 155 was $38 per. That was everything but critters. I'd love to see what others did. I believe I've heard $25 or so before.

What size you thinkin' about anyway?

austinsdad said:
My 155 was $38 per. That was everything but critters. I'd love to see what others did. I believe I've heard $25 or so before.

What size you thinkin' about anyway?

50-75

Was looking at the 24" nanocube though, but thought it might be too hard since its smaller.

Typically, 29 gallons is suggested as the smallest size to start with. That being said, the nanocube has you just a twinge under that, so it would not be unreasonable. Nice features to the nanocubes are the appearance and the fact that they are overall self-contained. However, the simplicity of being self-contained also means that customization (wanting to increase the lighting, add a protein skimmer, etc.) becomes much more difficult.
The price per gallon changes substantially depending on whether you want to keep corals or not. With corals, I typically hear $30+/gallon. I am just a bit under $30/gallon for my 29. Without, it might be closer to $20/gallon.

At this point counting 135 gal tank and glass covers, enclosed stand, 30 gal refugium, RO DI system,protien skimmer, heaters, salt mixes, 120lbs argonite, 120lbs liverock, wave makers and timers and 2 metal halide pendants, I have $1,500 into the tank, + livestock. If you shop around and do much of the work yourself you can keep prices down.
Good Luck

My 75 Gal - About $1,300 into w/o livestock. 60lb LR, 80lb LS, 4 powerhead, 265watt, heater, skimmer, fluval, 18 gal sump, return, overflow, test kits, tools and salt.

hmmmm .. I don't think I have ever figured out what I've spent.

Tank = Free
Stand = Free
Lights = $170
Filter = $35
PowerHeads ~ $40
LR = approx. 80lbs. $450 depending on price?
LS = about $80

so actual tank setup cost $775 approx. with a big portion saved by the tank and stand given to me.

Livestock ... well some was free through trades and some I've purchased. All together I would say $1000 after said and done! This of course does not include maintenance and other products, food, vitamins , additives etc.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• fts1_159.jpg
    fts1_159.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ls_148.jpg
    ls_148.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 23
  • rs_133.jpg
    rs_133.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 24
hmmmm .. I don't think I have ever figured out what I've spent.

Me either, I don't think I really want to know! LOL!
I did keep almost all of my reciepts....maybe one day I'll add it up....

Back
Top Bottom