Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Definitely not planning for anything living in the tank by Christmas. Just trying to get some saltwater circulating Once the water is up to temp and salinity is right I'll add live rock (around 100lbs) and about 90lbs of Aragamax sand.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

JMO....u can add LR and Aragamax sand while circulating the water.....why u need to add it after..??? u can add the LR then pour the sand.....after that fill the tank with water and let it circulate/water cycle for a while.....i think that is better.....
just my 2cents...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well the live rock has been cured and is in a tote with water right now so I want to keep the rock in water as much as possible right? That way it minimized die off? I'd like to add the rock and sand as soon as the tank is filled but since I'm getting it from a friend it won't happen that quick. It'll take a little planning to get live rock moved from their place to my place.

Not to mention I need to make the water with the RO unit which is going to take a little time. I'm going to get the tank going and filled and when I know it's ready then I'll organize the rock movement.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i haven't tried the coralife power heads yet. they seem comparable to koralias.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

If the rock is in totes, just keep it at temp and have a small powerhead in there for circulation as if you were curing it. How long will it be in the totes before your tank is ready for it?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think it has been in a tote for quite some time actually. My friend got the rock out of a running aquarium but it had some bad algae on it. I guess she put it in the tote with a heater and powerhead. It's been like that for probably a month or so and the algae is gone now.

I plan on using this cured rock and a few pieces from their active tank as well.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I'm hoping to finish up my plumbing tonight and start adding water to the main tank. I won't have enough water to overflow into the sump until tomorrow but that's ok since I'll need to let the silicone cure in my sump anyhow.

What is a good amount of live rock to start a tank with? I'm not sure I'll be able to get the cured rock from my friends right away. I will have to wait until after the new year but since I've made this progress and will have the tank filled I'd like to get some rock in there to use for base rock and get the sand in there. Will 40lbs of live rock be enough surface to house bacteria for a cycle? Then I can add in the additional cured rock and some live rock after the new year?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Overflow and return bulks are finally plumbed.

No sump yet so pieces mocked up in place.

Ballast wired up with (4) 30" VHO bulbs. (2) say actinic and (2) say super actinic. A little much blue for me.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

looking pretty good, still cant wait to see this come together
Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yeah, i would add at least 1 daylight lamp, probably 2.

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com